Snow pack at 130% of average

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Snow pack at 130% of average

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Snow pack at 130% of average

Post by oldranger »

130% was one site. Statewide snowpack is 117% according tohttp://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/COURSES. Kings and San Joaquin are about average. Drainages to south and eastside south are still below average! Merced river north above average. There are still a few stations unchecked which could up the total for Kern river drainage and eastern sierra s. of Mammoth.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Lisalu22
Topix Novice

Post by Lisalu22 »

So, this is only my second year reading the forum, and trying to plan a trip, we are hoping to hike Rae lakes loop, with this much snow what do you think would be an ideal time to go?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Lisalu22 wrote:So, this is only my second year reading the forum, and trying to plan a trip, we are hoping to hike Rae lakes loop, with this much snow what do you think would be an ideal time to go?
August. Less of a chance of mosquitoes, too. If you want no mosquitoes and the surety of no snow, September is optimal.

ETA: I suspect part of the concern is the popularity of the Rae loop and the SEKI permit system opening reservations in March. Consider the importance of getting a reservation vs. needing to know how much snow there is -- if it is more important to have a permit for a specific week in advance get a later permit. If dates can be flexible, consider waiting and either trying for a reservation later in the year, or doing a walk in -- a pretty good number of advance reservations never turn into trips. People who plan far in advance often have things come up by the time of the trip and can't go. If you're taking one or two other people that might be the way to go.
Last edited by AlmostThere on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

So, this is only my second year reading the forum, and trying to plan a trip, we are hoping to hike Rae lakes loop, with this much snow what do you think would be an ideal time to go?
Wait and see what the next couple of months bring us.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Lisalu22
Topix Novice

Post by Lisalu22 »

@almost there. September is not an option for us and unfortunately we do need to plan a specific date range since we are flying in. I wish we lived close enough to wing it! Last year end of June we tried and unfortunately we could not finish the loop because my husband got sick! Hoping to complete it this year.

@maverick, I have a little time to plan, thanks! I'll keep reading for updates!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Oh yeah, your husband got sick on that trip, shoot for mid August then Lisa, mosquitoes should be okay by then.

PS Thursday, Aug 18th is full moon, if that matters to you.

JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

Had to cancel our trip last year because of work obligations. I am ready to pull the trigger on my permit in a few weeks for an August trip. We plan on doing a SHR section from Piute Pass to MgGee Creek. Should have great scenery without JMT type crowds. I have two extended family wedding trips back east to attend so I can't take more than a week for the hike. We have been getting a lot more winter weather in Reno this year. Our water situation should improve some.

Unless you want to see high water, I think August or September weather is the most pleasant.
Jeff
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

JWreno, that's such a beautiful route. On one trip we went from Piute Pass over Feather Pass, White Bear Pass, Gabbot Pass, down Mono Creek to Florence Lake. I've been from south to north from Mono Pass to Laurel Lake to the McGee Pass trailhead twice and once in the other direction on a counter clockwise loop from Mono Pass. Crossing the Silver Divide on the HSR is one of my favorite routes. I would think August would be good for encountering less snow. On two trips in August, there was snow at the top of Bighorn Pass but it was easily passed. Shout-of-Relief Pass is so low angled on the north side that I don't think snow there would be a problem. When we went there was no snow on the south side. On the trip where we encountered the most snow on that route, McGee Pass had a couple of narrow steep sections of trail that were still buried under snow and hadn't been trampled by horses or people. We had to cross these sections very carefully as a slip meant a long slide to rocks. We had a dog with us, which was even trickier. The McGee Pass Trail was great, though, very pretty.
Lisalu22
Topix Novice

Post by Lisalu22 »

maverick wrote:
Oh yeah, your husband got sick on that trip, shoot for mid August then Lisa, mosquitoes should be okay by then.

PS Thursday, Aug 18th is full moon, if that matters to you.

Thank you :)