when will the smoke stop in the eastern sierra???

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

when will the smoke stop in the eastern sierra???

Post by DAVELA »

anyone here with a crystal ball?

...my dad wants to visit me and go to the eastern sierra in mid september but i have told him the smoke is bad...when the hell is all this fire and smoke supposed to stop and will mid-sept be safe??I know we usually get a snow dump in early october so im kinda hoping these fires will die out soon.Enough already. :confused:
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: when will the smoke stop in the eastern sierra???

Post by rlown »

A desert state and a 4 year drought. Fire stops when it hits the granite. Money from the farcical bullet train would be better spent clearing brush in spring in high impact areas and fighting fires.

Aim South until they have containment. bishopweather.com hasn't been showing really clear except when the wind shifts. Mammoth looks clear today, but it was smokey this am.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Pray for an early El Nino front sweeping down from the Gulf of Alaska after mid September. At best unpredictable.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2015_Trip_C ... les-0.html
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

nws shows smoke for the whole week in bishop!!
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If the trade winds die down over the Pacific in September, as one of the models is predicting, then the El Nino effect could be stronger, but some models are also predicting, that most of its energy may be hitting southern CA, anyways, hope for some major storms to hit, coming from the Gulf of Alaska, we do not need any tropical moisture with lightening storms that could start up several more fires.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
franklin411
Topix Regular

Post by franklin411 »

I'm just guessing, but I bet they'll let this one burn itself out. Maybe if we get some rain around Nov or Dec it'll run out of steam.

I lived in Santa Barbara and they let the Zaca Fire burn pretty much whatever it wanted for 4 months/250,000 acres.
joshuacourter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by joshuacourter »

If you wanted to see a daily view of the smoke in the state (or just to see whats up in the world) this site may help. It is just a snap shot though. Been cool to watch how far the smoke is traveling in light of all the fires in the state as well as current Rough Fire.

NASA Worldview
https://earthdata.nasa.gov/labs/worldview/
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

Well, it just depends on the day. Be flexible. We had bluebird conditions from June Lake north all weekend. I've also seen bluebird south of Independence. It's all about being flexible... Also, as mentioned, keep an eye on the NASA images...
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

SorryI have to state the obvios. It certainly will stop after there is suficient precipitation.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Smoke for months is something you have to accept if the armchair fire experts and self-proclaimed fire ecologists get their way and the agencies let fires burn.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=