Waugh Lake and Gem Lake water levels

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
flyzapper
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Waugh Lake and Gem Lake water levels

Post by flyzapper »

Can anybody comment on the water levels in Waugh Lake or Gem Lake this summer? I know that SoCal Edison has been known to take water out of the dams faster than the lakes can fill up. I'm curious to know how much water is in the lakes with the drought conditions.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Waugh Lake and Gem Lake water levels

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Did I miss something? The cited report deals with the lower lakes that are accessible from the roads, not Waugh or Gem. I recall Gem was lowered recently for repairs. Read that Gem Lake was 5 inches down March this year. I have been to Gem Lake when it was really drawn down. There is the "bathtub ring" look but I did not have any trouble getting drinking water from inflow streams although there was no flow in the outflow stream. Sorry, but this is not the same as an "eye witness" report. Perhaps if you called the FS visitor center at Mono Lake they could give you some real information.

What is the concern regarding water levels - scenic value, water source, or fishing? Interesting thing is that we fished Sabrina Lake last fall when it was about half full (due to repairs) and the fishing was great.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Did I miss something? The cited report deals with the lower lakes that are accessible from the roads, not Waugh or Gem. I recall Gem was lowered recently for repairs.
In 2012-2017 seismic safety drawdown orders required Waugh Reservoir to be kept less than half full and Gem Lake Reservoir to be kept 10 feet below the spillway and Agnew Lake Reservoir to be kept empty. Seismic retrofit work is expected to be finished in time for the 2017 recreation season.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yup, I missed that. Thanks for extracting that from the document for me.
flyzapper
Topix Novice

Post by flyzapper »

Thanks for finding the info for me. It's mostly a scenery and fishing interest for me. I hiked along these lakes a few years ago, and I'll be back this summer. I just hate seeing reservoirs so empty, especially in the Sierras. I'm not worried about finding water anywhere near Gem or Waugh Lakes, there should be plenty.
I'll post a trip report when I get back!