Weather Alert 6/25-6/28

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Weather Alert 6/25-6/28

Post by maverick »

Monsoonal flow starting up, thunderstorms with dry lightning storms possible:

NWS Forecast:

THE WILL PROVIDE A S MID LEVEL FLOW WHICH WILL OPEN THE DOOR FOR MONSOON MOISTURE TO MOVE NORTH ACROSS MUCH OF CA.
OPERATIONAL MODELS AND ENSEMBLE MEANS ARE IN GOOD AGREEMENT WITH THIS SCENARIO. HIGH LEVEL CLOUDS MAY START MOVING INTO CA THURSDAY. FORECAST PRECIPITABLE WATER VALUES INCREASE TO 1.0 INCH BY 00Z SATURDAY. THE INITIAL SURGE OF MOISTURE WILL BRING A CONCERN FOR DRY LIGHTNING STORMS OVER THE SIERRA FRIDAY AND SATURDAY. THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT WILL BE PROBABLE OVER THE SIERRA AS MODELS CONTINUE WITH THE MONSOON FLOW THROUGH THE WEEKEND.

Great, more wildfires. :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Weather Alert 6/25-6/28

Post by maverick »

Will continue on into Wed, and possibly longer.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RichardCullip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by RichardCullip »

maverick wrote:Monsoonal flow starting up, thunderstorms with dry lightning storms possible:

NWS Forecast:

THE WILL PROVIDE A S MID LEVEL FLOW WHICH WILL OPEN THE DOOR FOR MONSOON MOISTURE TO MOVE NORTH ACROSS MUCH OF CA.
OPERATIONAL MODELS AND ENSEMBLE MEANS ARE IN GOOD AGREEMENT WITH THIS SCENARIO. HIGH LEVEL CLOUDS MAY START MOVING INTO CA THURSDAY. FORECAST PRECIPITABLE WATER VALUES INCREASE TO 1.0 INCH BY 00Z SATURDAY. THE INITIAL SURGE OF MOISTURE WILL BRING A CONCERN FOR DRY LIGHTNING STORMS OVER THE SIERRA FRIDAY AND SATURDAY. THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT WILL BE PROBABLE OVER THE SIERRA AS MODELS CONTINUE WITH THE MONSOON FLOW THROUGH THE WEEKEND.

Great, more wildfires. :(
I'm planning to be up in the Cottonwood basin for the July 1st Golden Trout Opener next week. Looks like I should be prepared for rain.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
dandaman49
Topix Novice

Post by dandaman49 »

I'm heading to Bishop on the 27th and am planning on doing the North Lake/South Lake loop over the next week. Looks like its scattered thunderstorms the whole time :(

Looking like its anywhere from 20% to 40% chance of precipitation in aspendell, any advice on what I should expect?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Just be prepared for occasional showers, maybe hail, and time all your passes for earlier in the day, thunderstorms normally hit in the afternoon, though depending on the strength of the monsoonal flow, they could start earlier, keep an eye on the skies.
If you get some time, an intro would be appreciated: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have done extensive backpacking and climbing in the northern Rockies where the weather report will be similar, every day from July to mid-August. If you do not go out on a trip because of this, you would simply stay home most of the backpack season. These type of storms are pretty predictable- series of storms, lasting about an hour each, one early to mid-afternoon, one guaranteed to wreck your dinner meal, and one bedtime storm, clearing by about 10PM. Next, day, same thing.

Have gear capable of withstanding heavy rain, hail and wind. Be very careful of where you set up camp - have good drainage and stay out of low spots. Do some detailed planning so that you go over passes in the mornings. Getting soaked is miserable; getting hit by lightning on a high pass is not an option if you want stay alive! This time of year, it should not slow you down too much, because it is light nearly at 4:30 AM! Just get up at dawn, and start each day by 6:30 so that you can get camp set up before most of the storms. Bring some entertainment for in-tent time during storms.
dandaman49
Topix Novice

Post by dandaman49 »

Thanks for the advice