Weather Alert 6/16-6/17

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Weather Alert 6/16-6/17

Post by maverick »

If you heading out Tue or Wed, there is some upper level moisture coming in from the south, from what was Tropical Storm Blanca. Heads up on possible heavy downpours and thunderstorms! Thunderstorm activity will continue thru the weekend.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Weather Alert 6/16-6/17

Post by freestone »

An interesting fact about Blanca, then a cryptic sentence about the weather for July 2015 in the Sierra.
Finally, some rain and a warm wind out of the south in the Santa Barbara area.

http://mammothweather.com
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
BrianF
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by BrianF »

A friend is out on a trip right now and was wondering how the weather looked so I was checking webcams at lunch, saw this nice shot of Half Dome
ahwahnee2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I thought that the long term weather reports 6-7 days out were not to accurate. But I will keep an eye on things since I was planning out going out next Wed. May have to delay a bit. Then again, am going to Tehipite Valley- maybe I want rain rather than heat. It was 106F here in Sacramento while I was in Desolation. It was downright HOT at 9000 feet.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockyroad »

I've been checking the Yosemite forecasts for this Friday. Last Saturday, heavy rain was predicted for Friday afternoon and night above Lyell canyon. I think it was over 0.5 inch of rain. Then on Tuesday, it was only moderate rain, about 0.3 inches. Yesterday, slight rain Friday night. Last night and today, the forecast is clear skies all Friday. My take is the long term forecasters will do the best they can based on the data available. Maybe it will be accurate. Maybe not, especially if an expected storm changes paths or peters out or builds up. If so, the forecast will be updated. Anyways, I wouldn't be too surprised if it rained on me Friday after all.