Weather Alert 6/16-6/17 | High Sierra Topix  

Weather Alert 6/16-6/17

Discussion related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.

Weather Alert 6/16-6/17

Postby maverick » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:03 pm

If you heading out Tue or Wed, there is some upper level moisture coming in from the south, from what was Tropical Storm Blanca. Heads up on possible heavy downpours and thunderstorms! Thunderstorm activity will continue thru the weekend.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Weather Alert 6/16-6/17

Postby freestone » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:42 pm

An interesting fact about Blanca, then a cryptic sentence about the weather for July 2015 in the Sierra.
Finally, some rain and a warm wind out of the south in the Santa Barbara area.

http://mammothweather.com
freestone
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Postby BrianF » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:29 pm

A friend is out on a trip right now and was wondering how the weather looked so I was checking webcams at lunch, saw this nice shot of Half Dome
ahwahnee2.jpg
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
BrianF
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Wandering Daisy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:52 pm

I thought that the long term weather reports 6-7 days out were not to accurate. But I will keep an eye on things since I was planning out going out next Wed. May have to delay a bit. Then again, am going to Tehipite Valley- maybe I want rain rather than heat. It was 106F here in Sacramento while I was in Desolation. It was downright HOT at 9000 feet.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie

Experience: N/A

Postby Rockyroad » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:35 pm

I've been checking the Yosemite forecasts for this Friday. Last Saturday, heavy rain was predicted for Friday afternoon and night above Lyell canyon. I think it was over 0.5 inch of rain. Then on Tuesday, it was only moderate rain, about 0.3 inches. Yesterday, slight rain Friday night. Last night and today, the forecast is clear skies all Friday. My take is the long term forecasters will do the best they can based on the data available. Maybe it will be accurate. Maybe not, especially if an expected storm changes paths or peters out or builds up. If so, the forecast will be updated. Anyways, I wouldn't be too surprised if it rained on me Friday after all.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Return to Conditions Reports and Information