Current Conditions for Mt Lyell?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Current Conditions for Mt Lyell?

Post by Rockyroad »

Has anyone been up around Mt Lyell lately? I have a wilderness permit for next Friday and had planned on heading up the mountain that weekend. I'm wondering how the snow condition on the approach will be. I've seen recent photos of waist-deep powder in other areas of the Sierra so am wondering if I should also bring along my snowshoes. I'll have crampons and ice ax for closer to the mountain. Any predictions on whether this week's rain will melt most of the powder? Will there be too many deep suncups for the snow shoes? Thanks in advance.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Current Conditions for Mt Lyell?

Post by maverick »

In the vicinity, this is the most recent: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12810&p=96102&hili ... ass#p96102
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockyroad »

Thanks Maverick. That's the post that got me thinking of bringing snowshoes.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Call the wilderness office at Tuolumne next week, they will have some up to date info.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org