weather this weekend 6/6

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
alc101ma
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

weather this weekend 6/6

Post by alc101ma »

Looks like a decent chance of rain on Saturday here in Norcal. Do you guys think it will snow between 6- 8K feet around Tahoe? The one thing I'm always afraid of is getting stuck (or worse) on one of the mountain roads after a storm.

I'm calling the US Forestry office but they must be out to lunch or something...
Hiking and camping in the Bay Area and up the Pacific coast. Backpacking in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Catching backcountry trout. I write articles, stories, guides, and how to's for exploring the outdoors. http://www.loveto.camp
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: weather this weekend 6/6

Post by AlmostThere »

I always dial up NOAA.

http://tinyurl.com/p7dq2qr
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Rain, rain, and more rain.

NWS forecast for 7050ft:

This Afternoon:
Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 65. East wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Tonight:
Scattered showers and thunderstorms before 11pm, then isolated showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northwest in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Saturday:
Isolated showers, then scattered showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 66. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northeast in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Saturday Night:
Scattered showers and thunderstorms before 11pm, then a slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 43. North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Sunday:
A slight chance of showers, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 69. North wind around 5 mph becoming northeast in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Sunday Night:
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44.

If you get the time, an intro would be appreciated here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

As a Tahoe local, I can say it will almost certainly not snow. As Mav said, it will be rain, rain, rain.
Here is the National Weather Service Special Statement regarding the rain:
http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.p ... =Stateline NV&product1=Special+Weather+Statement&lat=38.9594&lon=-119.9377#.VXIUKU3JBfw
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am going to take a chance and go out Saturday loop from Eagle Lake-Velma-Rubicon-Schmidell-Clyde-Aloha-Suzie-Dicks and out (perhaps Sunday if my backpack partner does not go since I have no time constraints and she had to be back by Wed from a 5-day trip). I will report on how soggy I get when I return! This morning the weather report was better- now it is terrible. But Sun-Mon are supposed to be getting a bit better. I can always bail out. Actually looks a lot like typical Wyoming Wind Rivers weather, which I am quite accustomed to.
alc101ma
Topix Regular

Post by alc101ma »

Thanks. NOAA is great. Finally got a hold of someone in NV and she confirmed that it should be only rain. I might have to bail anyway. My partner is not happy with the forecast. I told her she could finally use the rain cover on her backpack, but dragging her out to be miserable is not in my own best interests... [-X
Hiking and camping in the Bay Area and up the Pacific coast. Backpacking in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Catching backcountry trout. I write articles, stories, guides, and how to's for exploring the outdoors. http://www.loveto.camp