Conditions Tuolumne to Mammoth Lakes?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
oldpaint
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Conditions Tuolumne to Mammoth Lakes?

Post by oldpaint »

We've took a couple of 2-4 day packpacking trips in the Sierras last year after day hiking frequently beginning around 2010. IOW we're not very experienced compared to most of you. I've lurked here for a while making use of the mosquito and conditions reports.

We would like to hike from Tuolumne to Reds Meadow next week (approx June 11 start). We're not very experienced on snow/ice that has a strong incline. Is Donahue Pass going to be easy going or does it have a lot of snow and ice still? We've never been up there at any season.

We were going to do the 4 Lakes Loop in the Trinity Alps just before the Memorial Day weekend but there were enough ice patches at 45 degrees we'd have had to traverse that I didn't want to risk losing my wife <g>. We don't have ice axes or any of that kind of gear. So we took other less icy hikes.

I expect Donahue Pass will be ok for us but thought it'd be good to ask here.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Conditions Tuolumne to Mammoth Lakes?

Post by maverick »

Hi Oldpaint,

Welcome to HST! Here is the most recent TR to the area: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12810&p=96102&hili ... ass#p96102
When you find time, an intro would be great here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldpaint
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Conditions Tuolumne to Mammoth Lakes?

Post by oldpaint »

Thanks Maverick! I have no idea how I missed that entry in the TC list. I'll check it out.