Possible weather | High Sierra Topix  

Possible weather

Discussion related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
User avatar

Possible weather

Postby mort » Mon May 04, 2015 2:51 pm

from http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/weather/RNOZFPVEF

EASTERN SIERRA SLOPES-
INCLUDING...ASPENDELL...MT WHITNEY
225 PM PDT MON MAY 4 2015

.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS AND SNOW
SHOWERS IN THE EVENING...THEN PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE
OF RAIN SHOWERS AND SNOW SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS 35 TO 38.
NORTHWEST WIND 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 40 MPH. CHANCE
OF PRECIPITATION 50 PERCENT.
...

.FRIDAY...CLOUDY WITH SNOW SHOWERS LIKELY WITH POSSIBLE RAIN
SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. HIGHS AROUND 52. CHANCE OF
PRECIPITATION 70 PERCENT.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS AND A
SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS. LOWS AROUND 33. CHANCE OF
PRECIPITATION 50 PERCENT.



User avatar
mort
Topix Acquainted
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:47 pm
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Possible weather

Postby markskor » Mon May 04, 2015 3:02 pm

right now - 3:00 PM - 57º and intermittent heavy rain - Mammoth Lakes (7,800 ft)
Mountainman who swims with trout
User avatar
markskor
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
 
Posts: 2047
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Mammoth Lakes
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

User avatar

Re: Possible weather

Postby MN2CAPisco » Tue May 05, 2015 1:20 pm

This may put a damper on things! And here I was hoping to take a long weekend for a Mt. Kaweah summit on the hopefully snow-barren south facing slope. Kaweah Gap is showing a forecasted HIGH temp of 28 for Friday with 50% chance of snow and perhaps thunderstorms. Of course there's always a chance of this in the Sierra, but I'm questioning if going through with the trip would be more misery than much-needed mountain R&R. Decisions!
User avatar
MN2CAPisco
Topix Acquainted
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:36 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

User avatar

Re: Possible weather

Postby Hobbes » Tue May 05, 2015 3:53 pm

Even the hardest core of winter-time enthusiasts like Orland Bartolomew knew to stay put during a storm:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12398

Now, waiting to go after the storm has passed is the ticket.
User avatar
Hobbes
Topix Expert
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:09 am
Location: The OC
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Possible weather

Postby mort » Fri May 08, 2015 1:52 pm

I need to get out more. I didn't expect this: Lee Vining
Image
live:http://395travel.com/webcams/mono-lake-cams/lee-vining

Is the Tioga Pass cam coming back?
-mort
User avatar
mort
Topix Acquainted
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:47 pm
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Possible weather

Postby cloudlesssky » Fri May 08, 2015 2:20 pm

My brother sent this picture today of the overnight snowfall accumulation at French Campground near Tom's Place (5/8/2015). The ground was clear the day before. He wrote "I think the beer is cold."

20150508_103717.jpg
Overnight snowfall at French Camp near Tom's Place 5/8/2015
User avatar
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 4:19 pm
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Possible weather

Postby rlown » Fri May 08, 2015 2:20 pm

mort wrote:
Is the Tioga Pass cam coming back?
-mort


Nope. I've emailed their IT contact since 2008. No phone line after the park went satellite. http://tenaya.ucsd.edu/tioga/

Park doesn't care if it exists anyway.
User avatar
rlown
Topix Junkie
 
Posts: 5329
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: Petaluma and Wilton, CA
Experience: Level 4 Explorer


Return to Conditions Reports and Information



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests