Water Conditions in Giant Sequoia National Monument

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
joshuacourter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Water Conditions in Giant Sequoia National Monument

Post by joshuacourter »

Yesterday I went up into the Sequoia National Forest / Giant Sequoia National Monument to check out water conditions from 7,000 to 8,400. I focused on creek crossings from Forest Service Roads and meadows adjacent to or accessible by road. Roads driven were FS 21S50, 20S79, 20S64, 20S64B, and 20S53. These roads are main access points to some popular Golden Trout Wilderness Trailheads as well as the Golden Trout Wilderness Pack Station. Here are the results.

Quick Summary:
Everything is dry with the exception of flows seen in Deep Meadow/Boulder Creek and Clicks Creek Meadow/Clicks Creek. If you plan on traveling or staying over night in this area, you'll need to bring water.

Detailed Summary:

Named Meadows:
Coffee Mill Meadow - Dry
Log Cabin Meadow - Dry
Clicks Creek Meadow - Stagnant water in pools. Flow is barely flowing and you have to look at the riffles or grass blades to notice slight water movement.
Loggy Meadow - Stagnant water in pools. No Flow.
Junction Meadow - Dry
Deep Meadow - Very low flow

Unnamed meadows or stringers seen from roads:
All dry

Streams:
Clicks Creek - Stagnant water in pools. Flow is barely flowing and you have to look at the riffles or grass blades to notice slight water movement.
Boulder Creek - Very low flow. Likely dry up in a month or so.
Fish Creek - Stagnant water in pools. No Flow.

Unnamed streams to Creek listed above
All dry.

Map source: http://data.fs.usda.gov/geodata/rasterg ... FSTopo.pdf
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Water Conditions in Giant Sequoia National Monument

Post by maverick »

Thank you Joshua for those updates.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org