Section F of the PCT(Tehachapi Pass to Walker Pass)

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Elwood
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Section F of the PCT(Tehachapi Pass to Walker Pass)

Post by Elwood »

I'm planning on doing this 84-mi. section the 3rd week of March, in hopes that I will find water at Golden Oaks Spring, Robin Bird Spring, & Mclvers Cabin. I plan to do water drops at: Black Canyon Road, Kelso Valley Road, & Bird Spring Pass. By the second week in March, with the use of a 4WD, I hope to access my warer drops using Bird Spring Canyon Rd, Kelso Valley Rd, Jawbone Canyon Rd, & Black Canyon Rd. Is anyone familar with these roads & know there typical conditions? I will call the nearest Ranger Station for the area as it gets nearer my hiking dates for up to date conditions. I was looking for inputs to this section of the trail & also the dirt roads that access it. Thanks! Elwood
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Section F of the PCT(Tehachapi Pass to Walker Pass)

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I've been up Kelso Valley road and another which I don't recall what it was. Both were decent dirt roads for most vehicles.

At that time of year I'm sure the springs will be running.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Kelso valley and Jawbone shouldn't be a problem for any kind of car or truck. Jawbone can be one long washboard most of the time.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Elwood
Topix Acquainted

Post by Elwood »

I'm hearing that the dirt roads I'll be using can be accessed using a non 4WD, thanks! for the inputs.
Elwood
Topix Acquainted

Post by Elwood »

Just got thru talking to a BLM Ranger from the nearest district, & he says Kelso Valley Rd. just south of the intersection with Jawbone Canyon Rd. is locked & gated due to privite property. So, this sort of foils my plans a little bit. I will still be able to drive in from east of the PCT, on Bird Spring Canyon Rd. Drop water at Bird Spring Pass where the PCT crosses, then head south on Kelso Canyon Rd. Turning right(east) on Dove Spring Canyon Rd. Drop water where the PCT crosses the road, avoiding a 2-mi. detour to Willow Spring. Then heading west back to Kelso Valley Rd. South until it meets Jawbone Canyon Rd. Take this west to where the PCT crosses, & check the condition of Robin Bird Spring, if I don't like what I see, I'll drop water here. The only water drop I won't be able to reach is south of here, mile 593 of the PCT, where it crosses Black Canyon Rd.