2015 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
genetastic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: 2015 Mosquito Reports

Post by genetastic »

Lassen Volcanic NP, June 12th - 14th, Summit Lake loop via Horseshoe Lake, Snag Lake, and Twin Lakes

Mosquito score 1.5

Very minimal during day, light during dusk. I ended up with several bites, no protection used except long sleeves at night.
Bradg
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bradg »

Went over Piute pass into Humphreys Basin
6-20 to 6-23
Mosquitos at "2"

Put DEET on twice

I'll attempt my first trip report soon...
Bradg
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bradg »

Meant to say

6-15 to 6-17

Sorry
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Yosemite north of Tuolumne Meadows

Qe had a real Sierra experience with mosquitoes this last week in Yosemite. (TR to follow in a day or two—I’m working on it!) We had hiked cross-country to Roosevelt Lake. The first night in Conness Canyon was at about 8,000 feet, and while it was quite cold at night down in the canyon (37F) there were relatively few bugs. score 3-4

The next night, at Roosevelt Lake (10,200) it was warmer by a few degrees, but the bugs were fierce, 7-8

The following day we cross-countried over to Young Lake. Upper Young Lake (10,000+) was a mosquito nightmare—you couldn’t walk without inhaling them. 10.

Middle YL was a touch better, at 9,900 feet.8-9

And Lower Young Lake, at 9,800, was better still. We camped out on a dry ridge northwest of the lake, and managed to avoid using headnets for part of the evening! Temperature here was a few degrees warmer still.6-7

Just goes to show that conditions are all local…and if you are at 10,000 feet in the Sierra this week, God help you with the bugs!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
scraperpro
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by scraperpro »

Cottonwood Lakes, June 16-19, all areas = 2
wacziarg
Topix Newbie

Post by wacziarg »

Lots of bugs on both sides of Donohue Pass between 10K and 11K last week, June 17 to June 19. Much more tame between 9K and 10K in that general area.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Took a short hike out to the falls below Clark Fork Meadows from the Clark Fork TH. hit the trail at about 11:00 and it was about a 3. as we gained altitude it went down to a 2. There was a nice breeze most of the day of they would have been 3-4 all day.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted

Post by hikerdmb »

Two night trip from Lake Sabrina.
June 18 - Blue Lake - 3
June 19 - Baboon Lakes - 4
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Woodchuck Lake and vicinity June 19-21. In most areas level 3, including most of the time at Woodchuck Lake itselt. Mosquitoes moderately dense nearly round the clock except for going fairly light from about 10 pm to 6 am. June 21 was a bit better because the breeze was more consistent. June 19, 20, were better when a good breeze blew, but this breeze was not consistent.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rsnipes
Topix Novice

Post by rsnipes »

South Lake -> North Lake trip 6/18 to 6/21:

6/18 - Parchers to Dusy - 1.5, perhaps 2 at dusk at our camp.
6/19 - Dusy to Evolution Basin - 2
6/20 - Evolution Basin to Hutchinson Meadow - 2
6/21 - Hutchinson Meadow to North Lake - 1 (quite breezy and we took the high trail away from the lakes)

All in all, I saw plenty of mosquitoes at times but survived without a single bite. I used some 100% deet on my exposed arms once or twice, but that's all it took. Perhaps they just weren't biting yet.