2015 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
RaiderFanMan
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Desolation Wilderness 6/20-6/24

Post by RaiderFanMan »

Desolation Wilderness - 6/20 - 6/24

Lake Schmidell - 3 Persistent during the day and at dusk/dawn

Lake Lois - 2 Mild nuisance at dusk/dawn

Heather Lake - 2 Mild nuisance at dusk/dawn

Lake Aloha -2/3 Pesky at dawn/dusk and when no breeze during the day

Used mosquito coils and tried out a handheld size Thermacell device. Thermacell seemed to work effectively but expensive over time to resupply.
Last edited by maverick on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title and dates added
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Hoover Wilderness

Post by Oubliet »

June 22- 28, 2015.

Backpacked from Leàvitt Mdws up to Dorothy Pass and over to Tower Lake, upper and lower Paiute Mdws.

Mosquitoes generally 3 and 4 at the high elevations. Lakes Stella, Dorothy were 3. Chain of Lakes was 4.

Maybe a 2 at Roosevelt Lake.

Tower Lake is a 5 unless you can find a breeze. Headnet a must. 30% deet not terribly effective for me. 100% deet more effective for friends.

Recommend long pants and sleeves. Mozzies were so bad that hiding in your tent after an early dinner was the only relief.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

20 Lakes Basin June 25-28, 2015

Post by gary c. »

Spent 4 days and three nights in the 20 Lakes Basin. Camped at Cascade Lake all three nights. We assumed the skeeters would be terrible and went prepared with LOTS of bug juice. They were not near as bad as I expected. Bullfrog skeeter repellent was enough to keep them off of me and both my grand sons. One of the women that went in our group still got bit using DEET. I would say that it was a firm #3 overall for the entire time.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
genetastic
Topix Acquainted

Re: 2015 Mosquito Reports

Post by genetastic »

Eastern Sierra - loop out of Horseshoe Meadow: Long Lake, Lower Soldier Lake, and Chicken Spring Lake; June 29th to July 3rd

Mosquito level = 1

You had to look real hard to find any mosquitoes, and the few I saw didn't have an appetite. Didn't have to break out the DEET. Didn't get a single view.
joshuacourter
Topix Acquainted

Circle of Solitude 6/26-7/1

Post by joshuacourter »

6/26 to 7/1

Primarily did the Circle of Solitude. Mosquitoes were most active from 8,000 to 10,000 feet. Roaring River station for example was fine with an occasional bug. Gallets Lake, Colby Lake, Lake 10,640 were bad.

General portion of the trip From Lake 10,640 to Kern River to Colby Pass to Roaring River to Avalanche Pass and down to Roads end we just kept moving when possible. Mosquitoes are hungry. Again the Roaring River station was fine.

Owner of http://goldentroutwilderness.org, http://domelandwilderness.wordpress.com and http://jennielakeswilderness.wordpress.com
Last edited by maverick on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rpickell
Topix Newbie

TM Meadow, Elizabeth, Echo, Matthes Lake 7/2-7/4

Post by rpickell »

Tuolumne Meadows Area 7/2-7/4

7/2 - Elizabeth Lake TH cross country to Mathes Lake and Echo Lake - Started a 0-1 at the TH, hit 2-3 at times in wetter areas
7/3 - Echo Lake - 1-2 all day
Echo Lake to Tuolumne Meadows - 2 consistently until 1 mile from Tuolumne where it was 0-1
Last edited by maverick on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Cottwood Lakes-Miter Basin 6/29-7/4

Post by thegib »

Cottonwood Pass to headwaters of Perrin Creek to Crabtree lakes, pass, and through Miter basin June 29-July 4th. Expected hellacious bugs. They didn't show. No deet. No bites.
Last edited by maverick on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Location and dates
DavePloessel
Topix Acquainted

humphreys basin/piute/puppet/royce/french canyon 6/29-7/5

Post by DavePloessel »

6/29 n lake to piute pass: 3 down low, 1 above 10000 feet
6/30 humphreys basin: 1-2
7/1 puppet pass/lake/surrounds: 3, with periods of 1 when it rained
7/2 royce lakes and surrounds: 0-1
7/3 french canyon: 0. Glorious, glorious, lay out in the sun for hours and not see a single 'skeeter 0. Piute canyon up to lower honeymoon:3 to a multiple bug inhaling 4.
7/4 upper reaches of piute canyon/golden trout lakes/muriel area: 0-1 (windy)
7/5 muriel to piute pass and most of piute pass trail: 0. Lower trail near n lake: 1
Pearl
Topix Novice

Tuolumne Meadows to Young Lakes July 3-4-5

Post by Pearl »

Tuolumne Meadows to Young Lakes

July 3-4-5

Tuolumne Meadows - 1 - noticed a few but not biting. Did not hang out for long or stay in the backpackers camp as this was just our starting point

Young Lakes - 2

Note - I pretreated all my clothes with Permethrin. That seemed to work fine for mosquitos and biting flies. Got bit by some mosquitoes and biting flies on my exposed legs. I applied Picardin only once on my exposed legs and arms and that was on the hike out. In the evening at Young Lakes is when I saw the most mosquitoes and they were buzzing around the tent trying to get in at dusk.
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Spanish Lake 7/5/15

Post by zacjust32 »

Spanish Lake: 2- around the marshy part on the outlet and west side.