2015 Fire & Smoke Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

NASA Shot of Smoke Blanketing California

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Walker Fire Update 8/19

Post by maverick »

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Rough Fire 8/21 Update

Post by maverick »

Over 39,000 acres, and only 3% contained.
http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4456/

markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Re: 2015 Fire & Smoke Reports

Post by markskor »

Just a heads up to anyone going out this weekend.
In Mammoth today, awoke to hazy (at best) skies - where yesterday totally blue, today smoke fills the area's sky - visibility, maybe a mile.
Wind from the southwest and driving in tons of ash...sigh. :crybaby:
Mountainman who swims with trout
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

Was supposed to do the Rae Lakes loop, but the Rough Fire had other plans for us. Went up to Hamilton Lakes on the HST instead. Smoke not too bad at Hamilton, Got worse the closer you got to Crescent Meadow. Noticed ash on the tent at Hamilton.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

I was at Lodgepole campground on Tuesday night of this week ahead of a 5=day trip I was going to do over Silliman Pass to the Tablelands and back out via Pear Lake. The smoke was so bad on Tuesday and Wednesday morning that the closest ridges were barely visible. Later I learned 7,000 more acres had burned Monday afternoon. I had ash on my tent Tuesday night. I decided not to go because the air quality was so poor and I didn't think it would be good for me to exert and breathe the smoky air. It was for me the worst smoke conditions I've experienced while at a trailhead ahead of a backpack trip . Still, it wasn't an easy decision not to go (other people were involved). But indications (at least my assessment of them) were it (smoke conditions) probably weren't going to get better. You never know for certain, though, and the conditions could have been better in the high country, but it looked socked in up there too. I had a smoke cough for a day when I got back to Fresno. In all my years of backpacking I've never dropped out of an organized trip due to smoke.
Last edited by SweetSierra on Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

markskor wrote:Just a heads up to anyone going out this weekend.
In Mammoth today, awoke to hazy (at best) skies - where yesterday totally blue, today smoke fills the area's sky - visibility, maybe a mile.
Wind from the southwest and driving in tons of ash...sigh. :crybaby:
Mark, any better today? (hopeful)
I have a permit out of n.lake/Paiute tomorrow. Call the white Mtn Ranger Sta; says air is unhealthful. *sigh* Need to go to plan B whatever that is.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Austex,

Two webcams for you:

Mammoth mountain caltrans cam: http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist9/cctv/

Bishop towards Mt. Humphreys: http://bishopweather.com/

Looks yucky.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Thanks Russ. I have my Klymit LWD all set to go to Puppet. In PHL flying to LAX tonight; will have to do some thinking!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

austex wrote: Mark, any better today? (hopeful)
I have a permit out of n.lake/Paiute tomorrow. Call the white Mtn Ranger Sta; says air is unhealthful. *sigh* Need to go to plan B whatever that is.
Better today - wind abated.
Whatever, I would still go but expect some smoke regardless.
Mountainman who swims with trout