Simple question: windy forecast for this weekend = dealbreak

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
franklin411
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Simple question: windy forecast for this weekend = dealbreak

Post by franklin411 »

Hi guys,
I'm thinking of a quick overnighter leaving tomorrow afternoon, arriving Lone Pine around 8 PM, crashing in the car, getting up around 3 AM Saturday, on trail by 4 AM, turnaround time 9 AM, back at trailhead by 1 PM. Possibly Cirque Peak or maybe the Kearsarge Pinnacles again.

The trouble is that the weather forecast doesn't look too good. Wind advisory for the Owens Valley, 35-45 MPH winds above 5000' after 11 AM Saturday gusting to 60. Mountain Forecast.com has the winds on Cirque Peak at 30 MPH Saturday morning.

So a simple question: Would this be a dealbreaker for you?

Thanks!
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Simple question: windy forecast for this weekend = dealbreak

Post by Bluewater »

I'm also interested in any opinions re the wind this weekend. I'm planning on doing an out and back to Miter Basin via OAP. NOAA shows gusts up to 30 mph at 12,000+- feet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Nope, I'd go. Of course I plan trips based on what I will enjoy remembering, not what I will enjoy doing. So it might suck but it'll be memorable!
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

I did a few hikes last week in the eastern Sierra (Little Lakes Valley, Numbered Lakes out of Glacier Lodge, McGee Canyon, etc.) and one night it was in the low 20's. Worse was the wind, which made some days mostly in the 30's seem extra cold. Not the coldest I have been in the Sierra, but something you really have to prepare for. People were out backpacking and you can see they were bringing extra gear. So if you go, gear up!

(PS: What was really strange, was that the western Sierra was dry as a bone, but most all of the eastern Sierra streams were running briskly at mid-summer levels requiring wet crossings in places.
OH, and breakfast at the Mammoth Base Camp Cafe was outstanding. :nod: )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Clear blue skies today 8,000 feet.
Freezing at night (or close to) - calm winds in the morning but afternoon increasing - gusts to 40 mph now (1:30 Fri.).
Expect higher winds over the weekend but only a hint of rains come Saturday evening.
Gear up and go!
Mountainman who swims with trout
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

30-40 mph is nothing to shake a stick at.

Anyone been in actual recorded 80mph + gusts? Bye Bye tarp tent. Sounds like a frieght train, and then trees start snapping :eek: :eek:
franklin411
Topix Regular

Post by franklin411 »

Thanks for the advice folks! My friend and I ended up deciding that going today was too difficult because it was last minute (she's in San Diego, I'm in Corona, and there were a ton of other moving parts), so we're gunning for Sat/Sun instead. Hopefully the winds die down by then. Here in Corona it suddenly got really hot (100) and the winds are picking up out of the north.

Assuming we go, I think we can handle Cirque Peak out of Horseshoe Meadow or Mt. Rixford out of Onion Valley. I like altitude and peaks, and my friend likes trees and lakes. I know she'll be pleased with the lakes along the Kearsarge Pass trail and the Kearsarge lakes themselves. Would the Cottonwood Lakes be similarly appealing for her?

My preference is for Cirque Peak because I've never been out of Horseshoe Meadow, but the main thing is to keep my friend happy. I'm hoping this will lead to further non-solo hiking trips. Really sick of that!
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

NWS out of Reno is reporting 70 MPH ridge gusts at 4 am this Saturday morning.
franklin411
Topix Regular

Post by franklin411 »

DoyleWDonehoo wrote:Worse was the wind, which made some days mostly in the 30's seem extra cold. Not the coldest I have been in the Sierra, but something you really have to prepare for. People were out backpacking and you can see they were bringing extra gear. So if you go, gear up!
Wow...awesome picture! My friend ended up saying she had too much stuff to do, so we rescheduled to 11/8. Hopefully it works out...I explained to her that winter is coming and at some point the road will be closed. Any chance of any fall color left by then?

My friend and I both teach college, and I'm putting up with the flaking for now because she protests that she really wants to go and I'm really sick of hiking alone. I think the argument is ridiculous, though: there's no such thing as a teacher ever feeling 100% prepared for class!