East Lake conditions?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Stevehymon
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

East Lake conditions?

Post by Stevehymon »

Hi folks. Taking the girlfriend and new dog up to East Lake out of Green Creek TH next week (never been there, hear it's nice). I also hear the lake sometimes gets drawn down a bit in low water years. Anyone been up there in past couple of weeks with some intel? I trust HST more than some dude on phone in FS office. Thanks, Steve
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: East Lake conditions?

Post by giantbrookie »

I could be way off base here, but I think even with the worst drawdown, East Lake is such a deep lake that I don't think it will make much of an impact on the lake perimeter, the beauty of the lake, fishing, etc. I don't recall it having anything like a check dam on it, let alone a real one, nor is it one of those lakes with a big terminal moraine impoundment that may be fairly permeable. Again, I haven't been there this year, nor have I been there following dry years, but I'm willing to bet that the water level won't be that far below the full line. I think East Lake is a very fine destination for an easy trip. It has beautiful scenery. It is large and easy to find a good campsite with privacy, and, if you like fishing, the fishing is good.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by tomba »

I was there late August last year (similarly dry year) and I didn't notice water level being down.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
Stevehymon
Topix Acquainted

Post by Stevehymon »

Awesome -- thanks to both of you for the info! We do like to fish and we're looking forward to a couple quiet days trying out East Lake and surrounding area. Looks like good weather, so should be a fun and pretty easy trip.

Cheers,

Steve
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by tomba »

Oops, I noticed now that you asked near Green Creek (Hoover Wilderness). I was at East Lake in Kings Canyon National Park, on a loop through Sphinx Lakes and Longley Pass.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
bytwerk
Topix Novice

Post by bytwerk »

I was there two weeks ago. Lots and lots of water. No bugs.