Marmots at Mineral King Trailhead? What is the update? | High Sierra Topix  

Marmots at Mineral King Trailhead? What is the update?

Discussion related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.

Re: Marmots at Mineral King Trailhead? What is the update?

Postby Shawn » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:12 pm

Rich,

Not so sure you'll need to do anything about marmots this time of year

As for the ranger station, in spring when the marmots are out in full force parking at the ranger station provides a little bit more protection because of the people coming and going which tends to keep the marmots away as compared to the TH parking lots (and being a mile down the road helps too).

Have a good trip -

Shawn
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby richapple » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:25 pm

Thanks, Shawn, and yeah, a bit of Googling showed that early season in a big snow year increases the odds, so late season and not-so-much snow this year... And I guess in the thread some time ago someone mentioned a ranger saying no marmot invasions for over a month.

And that makes sense about the ranger station parking area.

Yes, looking forward to the journey. I'm almost ready to post a TR for the first one of the season for us (in June), so hopefully this year I'll catch up and even get some from the last couple years posted!

Rich
richapple
richapple
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Postby orbitor » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:20 pm

Hi Rich,
What were your findings with the marmot situation last month?
Thanks.

richapple wrote:Thanks, Shawn, and yeah, a bit of Googling showed that early season in a big snow year increases the odds, so late season and not-so-much snow this year... And I guess in the thread some time ago someone mentioned a ranger saying no marmot invasions for over a month.

And that makes sense about the ranger station parking area.

Yes, looking forward to the journey. I'm almost ready to post a TR for the first one of the season for us (in June), so hopefully this year I'll catch up and even get some from the last couple years posted!

Rich
Connect, Learn and Climb: Sierra Mountaineering Club
http://www.sierramountaineeringgroup.org
orbitor
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Previous

Return to Conditions Reports and Information