SHR conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
scott.marley
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

SHR conditions

Post by scott.marley »

Hi All,

Anyone here done the Sierra High Route yet? I'm thinking about doing it with a July 10th start date. Looking for a little beta on pass conditions in terms of snow/ice. With such a dry winter are the passes clear enough, or will be clear enough, to do without traction devices? I'd like to save a little pack weight.

Thanks for any info you might provide.

Scott Marley
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SHR conditions

Post by maverick »

Hi Scott,

Welcome to HST! No reports of anyone doing the SHR as of yet, a little early.
Plenty of previous TR's here on HST, which you can find using the search feature.
Even if do not have anyone chime in who has already completed it before you
departure, you can read the TR's posted here to get an idea of conditions on at
least parts of your route.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
scott.marley
Topix Newbie

Post by scott.marley »

Hi Maverick,

Thank you for the nice welcome and response. I'll search the SHR related threads to see what I can find out. You're right it is early for trip reports.

Scott
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Seems like VHSVHS posted something this morning which could be helpful.
redbear
Topix Acquainted

Post by redbear »

Last week my friend and I did a variation of a portion of SHR entering from the North Lake and exiting at the Pine Creek. I'll try to post a trip report later today. We've gone over Piute Pass, Puppet Pass, Ruskie Pass and Granite Bear Pass. We also climbed Seven Gables via the North Ridge. Most amount of snow we encountered was on the East side of the Granite Bear and Ruskie Passes.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Redbear,

Welcome to HST!
Thank you for replying to this post Redbear, and helping a fellow HST member!
Any info, especially a TR or Conditions Report, you can supply would be very useful for
your fellow members, not only doing the SHR but also wishing to visit that section
of the Sierra. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jenreyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by jenreyn »

You should be just fine! Just returned from a section of the SHR between Mcgee Crk and Pine Creek. Some snow high around 12000 on North aspects but nothing to really worry about. Was nice in the morning when firm to make progress across the talus a bit faster. Mosquitos were bad in some spots but up high just starting to come out.
umjames
Topix Newbie

Post by umjames »

I hiked sections of the SHR around Palisade Basin (over this last weekend) and the Minarets (in late June). There was little snow to cross. I didn't use crampons or ice axe. Wore a pair of trail running shoes that had plenty of traction when I started, though they are pretty worn down now. I also tried going up the Southwest Ridge of Mt Sill, which is close to the High Route, and ice/snow was not a problem. My only problem was not having enough time to ascend the ridge, and having some concern that I'd be screwed if I broke a leg or something, since I was traveling solo. A guy was just rescued by Mt. Goddard with a leg injury. I'd rather not have a trip end that way. Hope your trip is going well (if you have a way of reading this during a resupply or whatever). Stay safe and have fun!
SierraMaclure
Topix Novice

Post by SierraMaclure »

I did it starting July 8. No ice ax, no crampons, few bugs, coulda used some wings on some of the steeper loose passes and miles of talus. Toughest thing I've ever done. At 61 I don't think I want to do it again - maybe go back to some jewels I found, though.
"Between every two pine trees lies a door to a new life," John Muir.