Trail Conditions, Carson Pass to Round Top Lake?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
jimandluba
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Trail Conditions, Carson Pass to Round Top Lake?

Post by jimandluba »

My wife and I hope to hike this Saturday from Carson Pass south to Winnemucca Lake, then on to Round Top Lake. Do any of you know how much snow is on the trail? Is the log bridge over the outlet to Win. Lake above water? Have the wildflowers started to bloom yet? Thanks. - Jim
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trail Conditions, Carson Pass to Round Top Lake?

Post by maverick »

Found this TR Jim from a few weeks back, snow will definitely not be a problem.
Wildflowers this year may not be as great as priory, wetter years. looking forward
to your TR when you get back.
http://thepathlessbeaten.com/tag/carson-pass/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Was on Margaret Lake trail, and Hope Valley June 7. At 7.6k wet meadows only had short grasses, stunted buttercups and a few shooting stars. Sunny aspects lots of spreading phlox. Was still some snow in shade at that elevation. Hope Valley likewise just stunted buttercups. Some usual slopes down the road had good numbers of arrowhead balsomwood and paintbrush.

Will be some early species up at pass at 8.6k in sunny exposures but most of the areas that usually bloom impressively after average winters about mid July were probably still a few weeks away. Probably end of June and even then is likely to be spotty with some drier areas water starved mediocre.
jimandluba
Topix Novice

Post by jimandluba »

Thanks, Maverick and Dave, for the useful information and advice. I hope the log over the Winnemucca Lake outlet creek is not under water, so I can continue on to Round Top Lake - one of my favorite places in the nearby Sierras. - Jim