mosquito conditions selden pass / bear creek

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
funcrew
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

mosquito conditions selden pass / bear creek

Post by funcrew »

Has anyone been up in or near the Selden Pass / Bear Creek area that can report on the mosquito density this early in a low-snowpack year? I'm headed up there for the week following Memorial Day. Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: mosquito conditions selden pass / bear creek

Post by maverick »

Kaiser Pass Road is still closed (opens 5/20). Those who have been out lately in other
parts of the Sierra have not reported any mosquitoes yet.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tgibson
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by tgibson »

I was up at Camp Sierra this weekend (5,000 ft elevation). The mosquitos were mild in the evening. Nothing too bad.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi TGibson,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for providing the skeeter intell.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org