Access to National Forest trailheads during shutdown

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
BigSea
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Access to National Forest trailheads during shutdown

Post by BigSea »

gglass wrote:sorry - I got so busy at work when we got back, I forgot to post a reply.
On Saturday, Oct. 12, we drove the 27 miles up Sky Ranch Road FS10 to the Quartz Mountain Trailhead. All we saw were deer hunters and a few loggers. Trail head was open and unmarked with any 'closure' signs.

Hiked down to the Yosemite border gate - no signs - hiked in as normal. Went up to Middle Chain Lake, did some fishing and had lunch, came back. Never saw anyone until the end of the day when a fit backpacker caught us about a mile from the return trailhead. He had been in Yosemite for a week - saw a few people - nobody cared about the closure. business as usual in the back country.

down the hill, margaritas at El Cid - a good day in a closed park.
I take it the other Subaru in the parking lot was yours?

I was there that same day, saw the same backpacker that was out there for a week and even had margaritas at El Cid on the way out.