need guidance for moderate 2-3 night trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

need guidance for moderate 2-3 night trip

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi Friends,
I know that this is last minute and I am hoping that some of you can give good advice.
I am leaving on Thursday, 4/22 and I have 4-5 days. I can use crampons well if it is not TOO steep And I am pretty good with snow shoes. What I want to avoid are narrow, Icy ridges, high, fast creek crossings and avalanches, (of course) Any ideas?
I was thinking of little lakes valley but not enough hiking for 4 days unless I can get over mono pass or at least day hike to the top.
I was thinking about Kearsarge but I have never been there and have no idea what the conditions or footing is like even getting to big pot hole lake.
I was thinking Sequoia or Jennie lakes but have no idea of road conditions or trail conditions.
Also, would be very happy to go to Emmigrant wilderness, maybe Levitt meadow but have no idea of conditions there either.
I wailed be so very grateful for ideas and promise to post conditions as soon as I get back!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: need guidance for moderate 2-3 night trip

Post by c9h13no3 »

Love the Sierra wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:03 am Hi Friends,
I know that this is last minute and I am hoping that some of you can give good advice.
I am leaving on Thursday, 4/22 and I have 4-5 days. I can use crampons well if it is not TOO steep And I am pretty good with snow shoes. What I want to avoid are narrow, Icy ridges, high, fast creek crossings and avalanches, (of course) Any ideas?
I was thinking of little lakes valley but not enough hiking for 4 days unless I can get over mono pass or at least day hike to the top.
I was thinking about Kearsarge but I have never been there and have no idea what the conditions or footing is like even getting to big pot hole lake.
I was thinking Sequoia or Jennie lakes but have no idea of road conditions or trail conditions.
Also, would be very happy to go to Emmigrant wilderness, maybe Levitt meadow but have no idea of conditions there either.
I wailed be so very grateful for ideas and promise to post conditions as soon as I get back!
Go south & east. Options would be the Big Pine Lakes area, Cottonwood Lakes and the Whitney zone if you're coming from LA. The higher elevations would be cold, but they have a lot less snow on the ground.

If you want it to feel like spring (warm), the usual low elevation suspects on the west side will be better (Kibbie Lake, Lake Vernon, ect.). Not sure where the typical lower stuff is on the south end of the range (around the needles? domelands?) if you live closer to LA.

Course, if I had to go backpacking anywhere in CA right now, it'd be Big Sur. It'll feel more similar to what you do in the summer (hanging out in the hammock, warm temps, flowers).
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
tnhgmia
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: need guidance for moderate 2-3 night trip

Post by tnhgmia »

Big Sur suffered lots of closures this years, and already has high poison oak, ticks and biting flies. Been a bad year!