Condition request - HST/Middle Fork

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Matt_W
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Condition request - HST/Middle Fork

Post by Matt_W »

Howdy all,

I'm intending to attempt a trip next weekend starting at Wolverton along the Alta Trail, descend Sevenmile Hill to the HST, go out to Bearpaw, down to Redwood Meadow along the Theodore Solomons Trail, then back to Buckeye Flat along the Middle Fork trail. From what I can tell, the daytime snowline is well above 8000', so most of the trail should be clear of snow. Reports on Alltrails suggest that the Alta Trail is passable with boots only through Panther Gap. So my major concerns are deadfall, trail damage, and stream crossings, particularly Panther Creek on the Middle Fork. There are a couple of very recent trail recordings on the Middle Fork that cross back and forth across Panther Creek, but no descriptions of conditions. I'm planning to call the Ranger at Giant Forest in the next couple of days.

So, just wondering, if you've been on the Middle Fork trail or the western reaches of the HST through to Bearpaw in the last couple of weeks, what conditions are like.