question about Hoover wilderness (CA) trip w Donnell Fire

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
renotrailrunr
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

question about Hoover wilderness (CA) trip w Donnell Fire

Post by renotrailrunr »

Hi! I'm new here, but love HST - great info from some experienced, well traveled folk!
Question: Planning a trip for Labor Day - I know, crowds will abound, but need to get the hubby out there.
Want to do a trip in the Sonora Pass area of the Humboldt-Toiyabe / Hoover Wilderness: Kennedy Meadows to Kennedy Lake then up the creek to the junction of Kennedy Canyon at the PCT, loop up to Latopie Lake and out Sonora Pass. An easy 3 day, 2 nighter. However, with the Donnell Fire currently closing a good part of Hwy 108 it is very possible that this trip may not be a good plan. (I'm planning an alternate trip in Tahoe NF). Will re-evaluate over the next few weeks.... Anyone been in that area yet?
thanks in advance
mpeters
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: question about Hoover wilderness (CA) trip w Donnell Fire

Post by mpeters »

I haven't been up yet but watching the Sonora pass TH area and fire updates with great interest. Headed out Wed for a 5 day trip heading south from Sonora pass and through the eastern edge of Emigrant Wilderness. We'll be passing by Latopie then heading towards Emigrant and Buck lakes. Enjoy your trip! The fire activity maps are showing much less activity and we are hoping the smoke is not too oppressive.