HST Community      WEATHER ALERT 8/30

WEATHER ALERT 8/30 | High Sierra Topix  

WEATHER ALERT 8/30

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.

Re: WEATHER ALERT 8/30

Postby Wandering Daisy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:59 pm

I have been checking the forecasts and things are going to get COLD! Down to 25 in SEKI, even at the lower elevations (9800), but less stormy. Fall is here.



User avatar
Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie
 
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:19 pm
Location: Fair Oaks CA (Sacramento area)
Experience: N/A

Re: WEATHER ALERT 8/30

Postby SSSdave » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:39 pm

After 9 days in Humphreys on road home, was up in 20 Lakes Basin last Thursday capturing a few strong images early morning but by 10 am smoke from the 3 Yosemite fires moved east over the crest ending that so I continued home. Current low pressure zapping our coastal areas is supposed to kick east tomorrow followed by some breezy conditions early Thursday with clear dry air before calming down.

One strong photographic subject I found after the smoke arrived and hope to get back to work was some dense expanses of Pierson's paintbrush, castelleja personii at peak bloom. Quite excellent backgrounds for the red fields including North Peak. That is the same short turf resident red paintbrush species one sees at places like 1000 Island Lake. Of course those paintbrush will only last a few days before wilting so it is now or never.

Carefully looking at weather info like windytv.com, it appears this coming Friday will be the one most promising day with sunny skies and light am breezes. The Yosemite fires have dwindled but that remains a possible thorn. Saturday morning weather is also possibly ok and if Saddlebag worked out Friday could spend Saturday dawn at Mono. So am looking at a short trip, driving up Thursday and probably driving home Saturday pm. Will probably toss out a sleeping bag Thursday night at the traditional 9k Warren Canyon bend. Then Friday at dawn, rise in the cold, drive to Saddlebag, and quickly hike into the basin shortly after sun begins hitting those meadows. Any photog f or m interested can PM me tomorrow.

David
User avatar
SSSdave
Topix Junkie
 
Posts: 2212
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: Silicon Valley
Experience: N/A

Re: WEATHER ALERT 8/30

Postby SSSdave » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:21 pm

Now Wednesday evening, all 3 forecast models have changed to showing higher wind speeds for Friday morning so above trip is off. The low that gave us t-storms Monday afternoon did not play out according to any of the models. Monday was supposed to have few build-ups with Tuesday and Wednesday significant storms but instead the later 2 days had weak storms and now the system is moving south off towards Nevada and dissipating with a stronger northwesterly flow pushing across the state as a powerful low develops to the north that will be push down into California by Tuesday providing the first fall cold front with snows in highest Sierra areas. Backpackers BEWARE!
User avatar
SSSdave
Topix Junkie
 
Posts: 2212
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: Silicon Valley
Experience: N/A

Re: WEATHER ALERT 8/30

Postby rightstar76 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:42 am

On Tuesday, the Climate Prediction Center showed the Sierra Nevada next week to have a normal chance of weather and precipitation. Just what you would expect for the last week of summer. The one from Wednesday did a u-turn and showed a high probability of cold weather and moisture. I was thinking what happened? We just had unusual sub-tropical weather and I was looking forward to a normal week. Now the forecasters are predicting a snow storm for the last week of summer. What happened to September? This is supposed to be the nicest time of the year in the mountains.
User avatar
rightstar76
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:22 pm
Experience: N/A

Re: WEATHER ALERT 8/30

Postby c0ryh » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:01 pm

I'm supposed to be in Humphreys Basin Sept20th-24th, I am going to be extremely disappointed if the weather keeps this from happening. This is supposed to be my only multi day trip of the year.
User avatar
c0ryh
Topix Novice
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:51 pm
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: WEATHER ALERT 8/30

Postby rlown » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:46 pm

How much weather will stop you, c0ryh?
User avatar
rlown
Topix Junkie
 
Posts: 6357
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:00 pm
Location: Petaluma, CA
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: WEATHER ALERT 8/30

Postby c0ryh » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:20 pm

Rlown, It doesn't help that I just read the heartbreaking update by Bob Woodies son on his blog. , It's always a reminder of what mother nature can do and to be prepared. That being said, I like to pack light. I was planning on bringing my 30 degree Katabatic quilt but now am thinking about bringing the heavier 4lbs 20 degree north face furnace sleeping bag. I have a big agnes copper spur tent. I'll be hiking in smartwool 200 base layer pants and very light shorts over that with heavy socks on and trail runners. Up top i'll have a long sleeve sun shirt with REI down jacket, and beanie. I'll have the shell in my pack and rain pants. Do you guys think this is enough? I've never backpacked when there's been a possible chance of snow. I guess my main concern would be the wind combined with the snow. I don't mind being a little cold at night. I can sleep with all of my layers on. I don't mind walking around with a couple inches of snow on the ground but anything more than that would be enough for me to hike out. I may ditch the trail runners for my low top boots but I'd prefer not to.
User avatar
c0ryh
Topix Novice
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:51 pm
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: WEATHER ALERT 8/30

Postby rlown » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:37 pm

I like to think of late Sept and after as a 15 degree bag weather situation. It sounds like you have the right gear. Personally, I would choose the boots and add gaiters and I carry fleece uppers and lowers and the rain shell. I've fished that area in a snowstorm and it can be glorious; If you feel threatened, hunker down in the tent. It's not that far to Piute pass. Wait for the weather to pass. I'm going out of Tuolumne on the 24th. I'm not yet concerned.
User avatar
rlown
Topix Junkie
 
Posts: 6357
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:00 pm
Location: Petaluma, CA
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: WEATHER ALERT 8/30

Postby c0ryh » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:21 pm

Thanks rlown, I'll have to throw the fleece pants in the pack for extra assurance. I can't wait to fish up there. It's been a long time coming.
User avatar
c0ryh
Topix Novice
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:51 pm
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: WEATHER ALERT 8/30

Postby austex » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:58 pm

Our own OR and Markskor are venturing out on a multiday this week out of Virginia Lakes. Myself in Reno for the air races and will be doing a car camping fishing trip Tioga north; next week with my Bro-in-law from Boise. YUP I flew in to RNO yesterday with my 20* quilt and my 20* WM for him in anticipation of the weather change. coming out of the subtropical dump from Harvey; 65 in Reno is cold.
User avatar
austex
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 10:51 am
Location: Austin, Texas
Experience: N/A

PreviousNext

Return to Conditions Reports and Information



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest