White Mountain Peak

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of peaks above 13,000 feet in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

White Mountain Peak

Post by Vaca Russ »

TITLE: White Mountain Peak

GENERAL OVERVIEW: White Mountain Peak is the third highest peak in California. It is the highest point in the White Mountains, the giants hiding behind the Sierra in the desert north of Death Valley. It is the 14th most topographically prominent mountain in the lower 48 states. It is probably one of the easier peaks to summit.

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: 1

LOCATION: The White Mountains Wilderness is a 229,993 acre wilderness and is jointly administered by the Inyo National Forest and the Bureau of Land Management Bishop and Ridgecrest Field Offices. HST Map

ELEVATION: 14,246 feet

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): USGS WHITE MOUNTAIN PEAK Quad, California, Topographic Map

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: The trailhead is at the locked Barcroft gate on the road to the White Mountain Research Center. Follow this 7 mile long 4 WD road past the research center all the way to the summit.

PHOTOS:
1Peak from Owens Valley.JPG
2Road to Peak.JPG
3Locked Gate.JPG
4Research Center.JPG
5Observatory.JPG
6Sarah on Road to Peak.JPG
7Summit Lab on Peak.JPG
8Final Switchbacks.JPG
9 Sport and Riley at Summit Lab.JPG
10Chalfant Valley.JPG
Thanks,

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: White Mountain Peak

Post by Rockchucker »

Thanks for the great report. I was up on the backside of white mnt last 2 weeks ago, we hiked Indian creek to chatovich flats.
I'm no suture for my future.