Mount Tyndall

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of peaks above 13,000 feet in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mount Tyndall

Post by Vaca Russ »

TITLE: Mount Tyndall

GENERAL OVERVIEW: Mount Tyndall is a technically easy peak to climb but it does require serious effort to get to the summit.

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: 2, 3, 4 or 5 depending on the route.

LOCATION: Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park on the west and John Muir Wilderness and the Inyo National Forest on the east

ELEVATION: 14,025 feet

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Mt. Williamson Quadrangle

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: The traditional approach is to climb Shepherd Pass and then summit the mountain by following the North Rib to the ridge and then following the ridge to the summit. The summit can also be gained by climbing the entire Northwest Ridge, but I have read this is quite an arduous undertaking with a lot of class 3 and 4 climbing.

One can also climb the south slope (Class 2 Talus Hop) from the lake at the top of Wright Creek (WL 3645). Other routes include the East Gully (III 5.8) and the East Chimney (IV 5.8).

PHOTOS:
1 Cover Photo.JPG
I climbed the North Rib.
2 Paint 1.jpg
Start by talus hopping to the base of the north rib and climb the right hand side of the rib. This starts out as class 1 and then slowly begins to become class 2. As the climbing becomes more difficult it is easy to stray away from the rib looking for an easier route. I made this mistake and found myself having to return to the rib by conducting some exposed class 3 friction climbing.

The idea is to get to the top of the rib and climb class 2 over to the left side of the rib. From there you can climb the class 2 chute to the ridge. Unfortunately there was snow and ice on the route to and in this chute. I instead chose to climb the exposed class 3 rocks high on the top of the north rib.
3 Class 3 at top of Rib.JPG
Once you are in the chute the climbing becomes much easier.
4 Class 2 Chute.JPG
One can then just talus hop along the ridge line to the summit.
5 Ridgeline to Summit.JPG
You can also climb up the south slope by talus hopping. This does not look very fun at all! (JMHO)
6 Down South Slope to WL3645.JPG
The summit register container is still there but the Yahoos have stolen the historic register.
7 Register Container.JPG
There is a tiny bit of exposure once you are on the summit.
8 Summit Exposure.JPG
You must touch the top of this summit block to get credit for the climb!
9 Summit Rock.JPG
This is a look down the North Rib.

There is some disagreement about calling this North Rib Route a class 2 or class 3 climb. I would say most of the climb is class 2 with some exposure at times making it a class 3.
10 Looking Down.JPG
Thanks for reading my post,

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by maverick on Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject matter
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mount Tyndall

Post by SNOOOOW »

Nice job! How many more 14ers do you need? :drinkers:
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.