Mount Ritter

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of peaks above 13,000 feet in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mount Ritter

Post by Vaca Russ »

TITLE: Mount Ritter

GENERAL OVERVIEW: John Muir is the first person recorded to have summited Mount Ritter. He wrote in The Mountains of California (Chapter 4) ….. “Mount Ritter is king of the mountains of the middle portion of the High Sierra, as Shasta of the north and Whitney of the south sections. Moreover, as far as I know, it had never been climbed. I had explored the adjacent wilderness summer after summer, but my studies thus far had never drawn me to the top of it. Its height above sea-level is about 13,300 feet, and it is fenced round by steeply inclined glaciers, and cañons of tremendous depth and ruggedness, which render it almost inaccessible. But difficulties of this kind only exhilarate the mountaineer.”
Mt. Ritter is the tallest peak in the Ritter range.

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2, 3, 4 or 5 depending on the route.

ELEVATION: 13,143 Feet

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Mount Ritter

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: There are four traditional routes used to climb Mt. Ritter. The West Slope, the North Face, the Southeast Glacier and the Clyde Variation.

TR: I successfully summited this peak on 8/11/2016 by following a “Russ Variation” of the Clyde Variation Route.
Having completed the climb “solo” and being a lover of life, safety rated quite high on my list of priorities. I believe the Clyde Variation to be the safest route (YMMV). This hike is long and tiring and your judgment could be impaired during the descent due to exhaustion. Avoiding the class 3 cliffs below the SE glacier is a good safety tip to consider, especially on the descent.
Although which route to take may be the most important thing to determine prior to a summit attempt, I also think it is very important to take into consideration the snow conditions during your attempt.
I prefer traveling on snow. I find snow travel much easier and safer than the tedious, soul crushing talus hopping on loose rock that is quite prevalent on this climb during low snow conditions. If I ever endeavor to complete this climb again I would want to do it in June or early July when most of the route is covered in snow and ice.

PHOTOS:

I didn’t start my climb up the gulley on the traditional Clyde Variation climb. There is a nice vegetation covered ramp just to the south of the gulley. Follow this ramp up to the middle of the gulley.
1 Ramp.jpg
This is the ramp looking north.
2 End Ramp.jpg
This is the end of the ramp, just before joining the snow in the gulley.

In both August (and 4 weeks earlier in July) the gulley had snow on the bottom, talus in the middle and snow on top.
3 Lower Snow in Gulley.jpg
4 Talus in Gulley.jpg
Once you reach (just almost) the top of the gulley, look to the north (your right). Look for a Cairned pathway through the rocks.
5 Clyde Cutoff.jpg
6 Clyde Duck.jpg
This is a nice and level pathway leading to just below the moraine of the lower snow bowl.

The lower snow bowl is just over that hump (the moraine).
7 Lower Bowl Moraine.jpg
The lower snow bowl is easy to cross until you come to the couloir. This is (IMHO) the crux of the climb. In early season the couloir is covered in snow and, although steep, it is very negotiable with an ice ax and crampons. I managed to climb this col with no problem on July 16, 2016. Unfortunately, I don’t have a picture. This is what the col looked like on August 11.
8 SE Col.jpg
9 Loose Rocks.jpg
These rocks were very loose and very difficult to climb. Coming back down the col was even worst. I had to struggle to keep from sliding into the crack beneath the ice and snow. I STRONGLY recommend climbing this col when it is covered in snow (YMMV).
This is a picture of Oleander at the bottom of the col in September 2014.
10 Oleander on SE Snowbowl.jpg
Notice the dangerous rock situation. I really do prefer climbing on snow!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Re: Mount Ritter

Post by Vaca Russ »

Once you summit the couloir, you will enter the south end on the SE glacier. The snow in the glacier is easily passable in early season. It does become quite icy later in August.
11 SE Glacier.jpg
That rock formation in the middle of the picture is sometimes called the “Three Toed Buttress”. You want to climb up and to the left around this formation to the Owens Chute.

Be careful! Late season this glacier will be slippery ice. Take the time to put on your crampons.
12 Ice on SE glacier.jpg
Owens Chute is just a big jumble of rocks.
13 Owens Chute.jpg
Be sure you avoid taking the wrong chute. This chute is going up in a westerly direction.
14 Chute to Nowhere.jpg
Do not take this chute! It is very steep and leads to nowhere!
15 Do Not Take This Chute!.jpg
Continue the arduous climb up the class 2 Owens chute.
16 Upper Owens Chute.jpg
There is a summit plateau (or bowl) above Owens Chute.
17 Summit Bowl.jpg
Now you are finally approaching the summit.

There is somewhat discernable path among the talus. Stay to the left of the snow field.
18 Path to Summit.jpg
There was an ammo box on the summit.
19 Register.jpg
The north face is a little steep.
20 Summit View Down.jpg
Good luck on your climb!

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Nice report Russ!
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

I was enjoying this until I looked at the last picture from the summit, now I feel uncomfortable.

Congrats on making it.
chrwell
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by chrwell »

Great report! The pictures illustrate the route really well. It's on my list.

Cheers,
Chris