Mount Goode

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of peaks above 13,000 feet in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mount Goode

Post by SNOOOOW »

Goode Camp.jpg
Mount Goode is a SPS listed peak in the Bishop Creek area. It is not a very difficult peak to climb at all, if you start from South Lake, and the views are killer.

The easiest route would be a class 2 approach (S/SE ridge) starting from the South Lake trailhead outside of Bishop. There is at least 1 other route which is rated 5.9 (ish?) and referred to as the North Buttress. Looking down from the summit of Goode that route looks pretty rad.

Mount Goode stands in at 13,085' which is not very small but standing on top of it feels smaller because of the amount of larger peaks in the nearby vicinity and how high the trail up Bishop Pass goes. Here is a link to the HST Map: HST Map - See more at: http://www.highsierratopix.com/high-sie ... zLz8d.dpuf

Mt Goode appears on the North Palisade USGS 7.5' topo map.

Route Description: Both the S/SE ridge and the North Buttress routes start from the South Lake trailhead. I will describe the S/SE ridge since that is the way I went up in 08/2016. To get to South Lake you would take hwy 395 to Bishop and then head West on hwy 168 for about 15 miles and take a left onto South Lake Rd. Once on South Lake Rd just follow the road to the end and find parking. On weekends in the summer the parking lot fills up very early and you will probably have to park on the road somewhere down the way.

Once at the trailhead, follow the trail for Bishop Pass until you reach a fork. From the fork stay left for the Bishop Pass trail and follow the trail up past Long, Spearhead and Saddlerock lakes. Once you pass Saddlerock lake you will head cross country westward and head toward Mt Goode which will be very obviously right in front of you at this point. It is roughly 3.6 miles from the trailhead to the point past Saddlerock lake where you will turn west and head cc. Head across towards the south side of Goode and start working your way up the S/SE slope. The route up should be simple if you've made it this far and class 2 to the summit. The summit is nice and flat and can hold maybe 5 people comfortably. Enjoy the views and return the way you came.

A good option if you can afford the spend the time would be to camp overnight somewhere out that way and summit both Agassiz and Goode or any of the other worthy peaks in the area (Hurd, Chocolate, Cloudripper to name a few). Make a little weekend out of it (which is what I did). There is decent camping on the S/SE shores of Long Lake away from the trail.
Goode Final Push.jpg
Agassiz Goode.jpg
Goode North View.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Mount Goode

Post by rlown »

A very nice report!!
tie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by tie »

I went up to the peak just left (south) of Goode, sometimes called "No Goode." The climb is more solid and fun. From there you can quickly traverse along the ridge or its east side (class 2-3) to Goode. I don't think this takes much more time, and you get nice views into Dusy Basin and along the JMT to the west.

overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by overheadx2 »

While looking for info on Mt Goode, I kept hearing about the tedious sand part of the ascent and was surprised when I did not come across it on the ascent. I did not see the tedious sand part until I was following the use trail down from the peak. Inadvertently I had taken a gully directly noth of Bishop lake heading north west towards No Goode instead of going straight north up the hill at the end of Saddle Rock lake. The gully was very easy with firm ground all the way up to the plateau where the final ascent to Mt Good takes place. Taking the gully puts you slightly west of the use trail, but the hike across the plateau to the final ascent was extremely simple. If I was to do it again, I would definitely follow the gully up on firm ground, and then slide down the sandy use trail on the way down. Once on the plateau, just follow the chute directly under the peak and simply pick and choose your way to the top.

Looking at Mt. Goode from Long Lake
1EA09B91-B151-4921-9701-5967C1DF8E57.jpeg
Looking back at Bishop Pass and Bishop Lake from the plateau. The use trail traverses the hill to the left of me and the gully is over to the right
C1165419-60B5-41AD-80EC-998B47D88E6F.jpeg
Looking up at the final ascent
0A5F5DFF-6C87-429C-9C2A-A4EB927D2738.jpeg
From the top toward long lake
2F0219AE-AAC1-4ED1-8167-5AB3B4995EE6.jpeg
Looking at the ascent from the plateau
D255AB15-79B0-4182-A95B-8D85867F8347.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

About those technical north side routes up Mt Goode. We attempted a climb there decades ago, late August. When things warmed up the mountain started playing nine pins with us. Best get some detailed beta if you intend to scale this face, we found out after the fact a few possible routes are notorious bowling alleys.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.