Basin Mountain

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of peaks above 13,000 feet in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
BayHiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Basin Mountain

Post by BayHiker »

sm-4203447.jpg
TITLE: Basin Mountain.

GENERAL OVERVIEW: Moderately technical 13er visible and accessible from the Bishop area. From the trailhead at 8000', it's just over 5000' to the summit. There are dispersed camping areas (including the mine entrance) around 10500'.

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: 2, 3, or 4+ depending on the route. Expect snow in winter, spring, and possibly later; the east couloir in particular stays snowy into the summer. Crampons and ice axe are recommended.

ELEVATION: 13180 ft (4017m).

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): USGS Mount Tom quad.

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: Approach from the Horton Lakes trailhead at the end of Buttermilk Road. Note: 4WD & high clearance vehicle required if you want to park right at the trailhead.

For the east couloir, follow the old mine road up switchbacks to a broad basin. A more direct cross-country approach saves time if snow cover allows. From the basin, ascend the 30-40* couloir to the notch. From the notch, the most direct route to the summit is a ~300' class 4+ scramble with non-trivial exposure.

Alternatively, cross over the notch and head north (right) for a class 3 traverse around the west slope of the summit block to a steep south-facing scree slope. From the ridge, it's ~100' of class 2-3 slabs to the summit. This route also makes a good descent option for the 4th class route.

I'm told there's also a class 2 route up the north slope from Horton Lakes, which might be preferable for late summer or thin snow years, when the east couloir is just scree.

Lastly, I heard someone put up a 5.8 route up the obvious left-facing dihedral starting near the top of the east couloir, but I don't have details.

PHOTOS:
P4203447_annotated_sm.jpeg
IMG_8681_sm.jpg
IMG_8720_sm.jpeg
IMG_8748-2.jpg
IMG_8767.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Basin Mountain

Post by Vaca Russ »

Bayhiker,

Great report!
BayHiker wrote: I'm told there's also a class 2 route up the north slope from Horton Lakes, which might be preferable for late summer or thin snow years, when the east couloir is just scree.
Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd AKA "Calipidder" did a great report of her climb of the north slope from Horton Lake here:

http://calipidder.com/wp/2012/09/basin- ... rton-lake/

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.