Rodgers Pass

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Rodgers Pass

Post by RoguePhotonic »

TITLE: Rodgers Pass

GENERAL OVERVIEW: This pass leads between the Upper Lyell Fork of the Merced River and the Marie Lakes of Ansel Adams Wilderness. This pass also is the boundary line of Yosemite National Park and Mono / Tuolumne Counties.

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2

LOCATION: Between the South Easterm Cathedral Range and the North Western Ritter Range, North of Rodgers Peak, SE of Mt. Lyell, boardering Yosemite National Park and Ansel Adams Wilderness. HST Map

ELEVATION: 12,240

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Mt. Lyell

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: From the small unnamed lake on it's Eastern side go around it's Northern shore and pick any route up you would like. From a distance it appears to be a loose scree nightmare but it is not. Some loose areas are encountered but is generally quite easy and not nearly as steep as it looks from a distance. You can either stay at lake level until below it or angle up as you go like I did. Either way should be easy.

The West side of this pass may be class 2 but it demands extreme caution to remain safe. The scree is so loose that playing a physics puzzle game as you descend is necessary. Read the slope both below and above you. Decide which areas are most likely to give way and zig zag as necessary to avoid causing a major slide. Pay close attention above you. I would stop constantly and watch the uphill slope while I took a step as much as 30 feet away the slope would begin downward on me.

No real route difficulties are encountered. A 3rd of the way down you will be funneled into a narrow stretch next to some solid rock on your right. When your more then half way down the slope will begin to lose it's steep grade and give way to larger yet still fairly unstable talus. Either side of the lake below can be navigated.

cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Rodgers Pass

Post by cgundersen »

In part because the Lyell Fork canyon is so gorgeous, I thought I'd add another shot to the myriad photos Rogue posted. On a couple prior occasions, I descended into this basin from the Marie side and as Rogue clearly points out, it is a delicate balancing act for the performer and the rocks. The photos my wife took at the time show LONG skid marks where we descended. Great exercise for the brakes! However, on our visit this week, my buddy and I ascended from the LFM side, and we realized that there was a huge part of the ascent that we could do on the appreciably firmer terrain to the west (left) of the chute. I took the liberty of marking up his photo with a red line designating our approximate route. This still left us with a semi-prickly quarter of the chute to ascend, but at least we avoided a lot of the snarky stuff. I'd highly recommend this alternative to the main chute!
Rodgers col from LFM plus route.jpg
cameron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.