North Glacier Pass | High Sierra Topix  

North Glacier Pass

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!

North Glacier Pass

Postby RoguePhotonic » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:45 pm

TITLE: North Glacier Pass

GENERAL OVERVIEW: This pass leads between 1000 Island Lake and Lake Catherine

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2

LOCATION: Inyo National Forest / Ansel Adams Wilderness. NW of Mt. Banner, directly off of Lake Catherine's North Eastern shore. HST Map

ELEVATION: 11,190

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Mt. Ritter

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: From the West side of 1000 Island Lake angle up a drainage coming down from the pass. Continue up this gentle valley on class 1 terrain until you are getting closer to the pass. From here take a steeper slope angling down from your right. Continue to aim for the low saddle of the area. Before you reach it you will encounter large stable talus. Lake Catherine is less then 200 feet below yet you encounter small loose talus and some hard packed dirt slopes that require caution.

RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: North Glacier Pass

Postby Wandering Daisy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:40 pm

First I want to thank Rogue for putting in the effort to get all the initial information posted!

Two years ago I found a use-trail on North Glacier Pass. It is on the right side (going down), left side (going up) and hits the top off-center. It is very hard to find, but once you stumble upon it, it is quite distinct and easy to follow. It avoids most of the talus on the upper part. Since it was covered by snowfields lower down I am not sure how distinct it remains as you drop. You eventually have to switch back over to the north side of the creek lower down as the south side turns into talus.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie

Experience: N/A

Re: North Glacier Pass

Postby tomba » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:03 am

I approached Lake Catherine from a shallow saddle WNW from the lake. I came up along the creek beyond that saddle, above east bank of that creek, after I left Sierra High Route at the confluence of that creek and the creek from Lk. Catherine and Ritter Lks. There were no difficult or dangerous sections on that route. The hardest part perhaps was the snow at the top of that saddle. This was on 2011-09-23, a high snow year.

Snow on the saddle WNW from Lk. Catherine, looking south.
IMG_4009-wnw-lk-caterine-saddle-snow-small.jpg

View of SW side of North Glacier Pass from the saddle WNW from Lk. Catherine. The pass is on the left.
IMG_4007-n-glacier-pass-small.jpg

View of SW side of North Glacier Pass from from close to Lk. Catherine. The pass is on the left.
IMG_4012-n-glacier-pass-small.jpg

View of NE side of North Glacier Pass.
IMG_4017-n-glacier-pass-small.jpg
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
tomba
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Return to Cross Country Passes