White Fork Pass | High Sierra Topix  

White Fork Pass

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!

White Fork Pass

Postby RoguePhotonic » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:14 pm

After looking at a couple sources this pass seems to be placed at the Northern end of the ridge it crosses yet I crossed at the Southern end before the slope begins up to peak 12,766. Looking back and at photos of the area I personally think the best place to cross is at the Southern end. This will also give you easy access to or from White Fork Saddle. It is however possible to cross either so use your own judgement.

TITLE: White Fork Pass

GENERAL OVERVIEW: This pass leads between the upper White Fork Drainage and the drainage East of Arrow Peak.

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2

LOCATION: Kings Canyon National Park East of Arrow Peak South West of Mt. Ickes. HST Map

ELEVATION: 12,300

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Mt. Pinchot

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: Both sides of the pass are tedious small talus that requires a bit of caution on the descent yet no difficult sections are encountered. If traveling East and your headed for White Fork Saddle it's easiest to angle South East over the ridge coming down from Peak 12,064. This will allow you to lose a minimum of altitude.

RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: White Fork Pass

Postby Cross Country » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:17 pm

I went over this pass with a couple of boys, 11 and 13yo. I was hoping for some fish in the lake(s) on the creek, but there were none. We hiked from WP Lake, over the pass and then back down to the junction where there is bear box and bridge, Woods Creek Junction. I don't think that very many go that route. The desent below the lake(s) is tedious too.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Experience: N/A

Return to Cross Country Passes