Copper Mine Pass

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Copper Mine Pass

Post by RoguePhotonic »

This pass should not be confused with what is sometimes called Copper Mine New or Copper Mine Secor. This pass can also be broken into two passes as Copper Mine East or West.

TITLE: Copper Mine Pass

GENERAL OVERVIEW: This pass leads between Cloud Canyon and Deadman Canyon while traversing the Eastern and Western ridges of Peak 12,345 (Copper Mine Peak) it takes you about 20 feet below the summit.

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2

LOCATION: Furthest Southern side of Glacier Ridge. Due to the nature of this pass you will be in two locations at once while you traverse it staying both in Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park.

ELEVATION: W-11,860 - 12,345 - 12,080-E

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Triple Divide Peak HST Map

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: If traveling from Cloud Canyon your goal will be to aim for the Eastern ridge coming down from Peak 12,345. You can connect with it anywhere you feel comfortable. The climb up is mostly easy small talus and some scree. From here traverse the ridge that is scattered with nasty sharp rock until you are closing in on Peak 12,345. When your almost at it you will pick up an old mining trail that will take you within 20 feet of the summit so you might as well bag the peak and sign the register. This trail will take you along the ridge and down until you reach a low saddle at about 11,860 feet where easy scree slopes lead you onto the Deadman Canyon headwall. This low saddle is what should be aimed for if coming from the West.

This is easily one of the most rewarding passes I have ever crossed and I couldn't imagine taking the other Copper Mine Pass (new) unless you were really in a hurry.

Last edited by RoguePhotonic on Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomba
Topix Regular

Re: Copper Mine Pass (Old)

Post by tomba »

Copper Mine Pass (old) is marked on the map here, with some description.

Here are views of what I think is Copper Mine Pass (old) from Elizabeth Pass on 2012-10-01 (low snow year). I have never climbed this pass.

On the right.
IMG_8280-copper-mine-pass-old-left-small.jpg
In the middle.
IMG_8281-coper-mine-pass-old-right-small.jpg
Close-up.
IMG_8284-copper-mine-pass-zoom-small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Re: Copper Mine Pass

Post by RoguePhotonic »

At request I have changed this back to just Copper Mine Pass.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Route Description: Climbing from the Deadman Canyon headwall you will find an old mine camp where the old trail begins. This trail will take you all the way up to 20 feet below Peak 12,345. Not far down the East side of the ridge the trail will go steeply off and continue down into Cloud Canyon. I don't know how far it continues down until it disappears.

Start of the trail:

oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

From where the Colby Pass trail crosses Roaring river and starts up and around the Whaleback there is an old mining trail that goes up the west side of the river. It generally is not worth trying to follow until you get up to the stand of foxtail pines that comes down the west slope of the canyon to about 10100 feet. At that point head into the pines and look for the trail as it switchbacks up then traverses s. In the 80s the snow level never got much above 11,000 feet so I have no idea how distinct the trail is until near the top of the ridge where it again becomes evident.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

Interesting to note: The Pass closest to the actual mine is the original Elizabeth Pass:

https://www.100peaks.com/blog/2015/09/1 ... ed-on-maps