Horn Col

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Horn Col

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I have also heard this pass called Lonely Lake Pass.

I'd also like to note that some passes in the Sierra are named a Col. when in my opinion they show nothing that would define them as one. This is one of those cases.

TITLE: Horn Col

GENERAL OVERVIEW: This pass leads between Deadman Canyon and Lonely Lake at one of the upper head waters of Lone Pine Creek.

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2 / Some guides list this pass as class 1 but I cannot see any route over it that could maintain a class 1 rating.

LOCATION: This pass is the border line of Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park

ELEVATION: 11,320

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Triple Divide Peak HST MAP

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: The East side has no special approach or descent from the pass other then if your going into Deadman Canyon you need to aim across the canyon to the trail to avoid cliffs. If a great deal of snow is present on the pass it's best to climb slightly up the South Western ridge to avoid very steep snow slopes. You will likely be able to pick up a few rocks there.

The Western side has many ways to go. Typically it's best to angle North Western along some boulder hoping or move slightly down to mixed granite shelves. Continue down until you reach the Northern shore of Lonely Lake.

With Snow:

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Horn Col

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Probably not common, but when I was there early season July 4 2006, there was a vertical cornice on the east side of the pass. Luckily I found a "chimney" where the snow had pulled back from the rock and lowered my pack down that - steming between rock and snow. If you cannot get over the pass you can detour by dropping below Lonely Lake and traverse to the to Elizabeth Pass Trail.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Horn Col

Post by tomba »

Horn Col, east side, viewed from trail to Elizabeth Pass on 2012-10-02 (low snow year).
IMG_8264-horn-col-small.jpg
Horn Col viewed from Elizabeth Pass, on the right.
IMG_8272-horn-col-small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.