Dumbbell Lakes Pass

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dumbbell Lakes Pass

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The talus on the North side of this pass is rather loose and tedious.

RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Not that we need more photos of this pass but hell another year another set of photos:

This is the single class 3 obstacle on the South and West shore traverse. You climb the darker rock that connects to the grass and walk along the face of the rock.

Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

In 1993 the pass was a cornice and we had to hike up to the right from amp. This made me nervous to do with my sons 16 & 11. It was my second time. Hiking down was a piece of cake. Just look for the easy way down (to the right). To us it was obvious. I think trouble arrises only when someone is in a hurry.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am a bit confused about your post, crosscountry. When you said "amp" did you mean Amphitheater Lake? If so, Dumbbell Lakes Pass is the pass between Lakes Basin and Dumbbell Lakes, NOT between Amphitheater Lake and Dumbbell Lakes. Or maybe I simply misunderstood you. Sorry.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

CC: The pass from Amphitheater to the Dumbbells that often has the cornice is called Cataract Creek Pass rather than Dumbbell Lakes pass (btw Dumbbells to Lakes Basin).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

I'll chime in a bit with my experience in Sept 3rd, 2017. Aside from the top of the snowfield being a little steep for comfort without traction the only issue was navigating shoreline with snow hugging it, I dropped along the ribs and went along the west shore of the lake and don't remember anything feeling like a significant obstacle. This isn't a thread the needle pass like the lower part of the south side of Cirque, Vernon, etc.

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 12.57.10 PM.png
21314704_2033768063571424_2274156537550427373_n.jpg
DSC05553.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.