"Special K saddle"

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

"Special K saddle"

Post by cgundersen »

TITLE: Special K saddle

GENERAL OVERVIEW: Connects the lakes (including Lake 3144) in the basin northeast of Mt. Clarence King to the next basin (with the small Lake at ~3,450 meters) across King Spur

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2

ELEVATION: 3,500 meters

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Mt Clarence King

HST Map: HST Map

This route was a continuation of the circle that my buddy and I did around Mt. Clarence King. This saddle sits right where the letter K (for King Spur) is emblazoned on the HST map of this area, so Special K saddle seems fitting. You'll need to eat Wheaties for this one as it's a pretty tedious slog through fairly dense vegetation, gravel-encrusted rock and other obstacles leading to the ridge on the East side. And, there's no easy way down on the West side, so you'll spend plenty of time checking out dead ends until you finally find your comfort zone. Do not attempt this route if you're in a hurry. It can be frustrating. However, I'm guessing that if you head up from the west, it'll open up more smoothly, because it's easier to find tenable routes. Bring some water, because it can get hot! Here some shots of both sides:
cwvDm9asA_Lw9YsGTQNy8vW7Zxw[4].jpg
cwvDm9asA_Lw9YsGTQNy8vW7Zxw[5].jpg
cwvDm9asA_Lw9YsGTQNy8vW7Zxw[9].jpg
cwvDm9asA_Lw9YsGTQNy8vW7Zxw.jpg
Cameron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by maverick on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.