North King Col (Clarence King)

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

North King Col (Clarence King)

Post by cgundersen »

TITLE: North King col

GENERAL OVERVIEW: Connects 60 Lakes basin with the off-trail lakes northeast of Mt. Clarence King

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2

ELEVATION: 3,360 meters

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Mt Clarence King

HST Map: HST Map

A couple years ago, I made what effectively was a circuit around Mt. Clarence King and there are a couple off-trail ridges that I'll aim to document for anyone contemplating a similar loop (which is highlighted by winding up in Gardiner Lakes basin). On this trip, my buddy & I entered via Kearsarge and once near the northern end of 60 Lakes Basin, we aimed for the ridge separating us from the un-named lake ( at 3144 meters) in the next basin to the west. This is what the ridge looked like from the East side:
60 Lakes basin 1.jpg

The next photo shows the terrain as one is ascending the ridge with views back toward Rae Lakes and Glen Pass:
60#2.jpg
This photo includes Lake 3144 and me in search of our tent which had fallen off my pack during the early stage of the descent:
60#3.jpg
View from the ridge looking north toward Pinchot Pass:
60 looking north.jpg
View back toward "North King col" from the basin holding lake 3144:
cwvDm9asA_Lw9YsGTQNy8vW7Zxw[4] (2).jpg
Photo with "North King col" labeled:
N King col.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by maverick on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bold letters added