Italy Pass

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Italy Pass

Post by alpinemike »

TITLE: Italy Pass

GENERAL OVERVIEW: This pass leads from Lake Italy into Granite Park

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 1/2

LOCATION: John Muir Wilderness on the Silver Divide directly south on the ridge to Mt. Julius Caesar. HST Map

ELEVATION: 12,365

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Mt. Hilgard

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: Both the East and West side of this pass are very straightforward. There is a decent use trail on the West that you will lose and pick up on your way from Lake Italy to Jumble Lake and on up to the pass. When there isn't a use trail it is basic talus and grass ramps from Jumble Lake up to the pass.

The East side of this pass contains an old trail that has not been maintained in many years but is still fairly distinguishable most of the way from the bottom to the top of the pass. The trail comes and goes throughout Granite Park. Hence given the use trail and easy terrain this pass is between a Class 1 and Class 2.
DSC_6242.jpg
DSC_6241.jpg
DSC_6240.jpg
DSC_1175.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alpinemike on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Italy Pass

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is a non-maintained trail, not techically a use-trail. I must of lucked out, because I found the it all the way from Granite Park to the top, 2 years ago. So it is there, just a matter of staying on it. I did the other side from Lake Italy in 2003 and do not recall being off a trail, but then memory is fading! It also may have been easier to follow back then. So I would call it was a class 1, not maintained, class 2 if you miss the trail at some harder points.