Lamarck Col

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lamarck Col

Post by maverick »

TITLE: Lamarck Col

GENERAL OVERVIEW: It gives access between Lamarck Lakes (Inyo NF) and Darwin Canyon (Kings Canyon NP)

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2

ELEVATION: 12,960 ft

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Mount Darwin

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: Leave the Lamarck Lakes Trail between the two lakes (UTM 542196) approximately where the trail crosses the stream. Descend the use trail southwest thru a clearing and small pond climbing the steep slope above, continue southwest thru a sandy valley to the small lake (pond) situated below the Lamarck ridgeline and at the base of the seasonal glacier/snowfield. There are different locations indicated online for where Lamarck Col proper is located, it's location is at: 37.1904900, -118.6673300
Once at the top start you descent keeping north of the lakes, try to slowly descend toward Lake #4, as you get closer you will encounter numerous use trails, pick one and descend in Darwin Canyon skirting the lakes on their northern side. Make sure to turn around and memorize the location of Lamarck Col, if you carry a camera turn around and take several shots so you will ascend towards the correct location on you way back.

PHOTOS:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Re: Lamarck Col

Post by fishmonger »

Here's an album with photos taken on the day I crossed Lamarck last year in mid August, starting at Upper Lamarck Lake and finishing between Darwin Bench and the JMT. Snow conditions were for a relatively wet winter, so water and snow was present on the top. They aren't in any particular order, but each should be properly titled. There aren't any shots of the descent down to Darwin Lakes, as that mostly is a sandy slope, except for one class 2 bump with some hand moves just before the bottom. On the east side, it is near impossible to lose the trail, while on the way down through Darwin Canyon it is quite easy to lose the route. In fact, once you start climbing over those large boulders along the lake, there really is no telling where to go. It was absolutely frustrating when I had to down climb from a dead end to find a better route. The time I spent along the lakes was about equal to the time it tool to get from Upper Lamarck to the top of the pass.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/speedcent ... 1840610993
Last edited by fishmonger on Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I split off the last two posts into a new post in the BACKPACKING/HIKING/CAMMPING forum titled Lamarck Col. "Cross Country Passes" entries are for general information on cross country passes only. Current condition requests should be started in a new post to the appropriate forum.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
BradP
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by BradP »

Contributing this photo for Lamarck Col 1st timers approaching from the south, as I was.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.