Midway Pass

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Midway Pass

Post by RoguePhotonic »

TITLE: Midway Pass

This is perhaps the only pass I can think of that is called a pass but I completely regard it as a couloir.

GENERAL OVERVIEW: This pass crosses the far NW ridge of Finger Peak between Cathedral Lake & Blue Canyon

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2 with class 3 route options

LOCATION: Sierra National Forest / John Muir Wilderness. on the NW ridge of Finger Lake. HST Map

ELEVATION: 11,650

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Mt. Goddard

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: My knowledge of this Col is limited to the North side of it as I some what used it as a route to climb Finger Peak.

The Col itself is the only obvious cut on the ridge and you begin by climbing nice stable talus straight up it. When I reached the narrow part which is the col it was covered wall to wall by solid ice and was extremely steep dirt. Nothing about this route was even slightly appealing. From here I moved far to the left where you can begin climbing class 3 rocks onto the NE slope. This section is a mix of shelves, blocks and small trees with a bit of route finding to the top of the ridge. It's continuous class 3 climbing until your on the broad easy ridge. From here dropping down in whatever direction your heading should be an easy task.

Last edited by RoguePhotonic on Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
tomba
Topix Regular

Re: Midway Pass / Col

Post by tomba »

There is Midway Col between Milestone Creek and Colby Lake. Map link. So perhaps we should stick to calling the pass in this post Midway Pass, to avoid confusion.

The the description of Midway Pass in Secor's book suggests to use the western side, to Midway Lake. It does not mention the northern side to Cathedral Lake. Secor mentions that this is not really a pass but a ridge crossing. Map link.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Re: Midway Pass

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Perhaps there is an easier way over around that cliff face on the Western side that would make for an good cross over. I don't remember what that side looked like though.