BeaRoyce Pass (unofficial)

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

BeaRoyce Pass (unofficial)

Post by robertseeburger »

TITLE: BeaRoyce Pass (unofficial)

GENERAL OVERVIEW: This pass provides direct access from the Royce Lake Basin to the upper reaches of Bear Lakes and Vee Lake. It is a relatively easy pass and offers a good alternative for those wishing to do loop trips visiting Lake Italy, Vee Lake and Royce Lakes, without severe elevation gain and loss.

CLASS DIFFICULTY: The pass is class 1-2. The primary difficulty is the steep sand on both sides of the pass.
The sand is quite tedious, losing half a step for each step gained, and this may not be for everyone with a pack at 12,500 feet.

LOCATION: The pass in the John Muir Wilderness. It is about one mile due east of Bearpaw Lake, and between Peak 12918 on the north and Feather Peak on the south.

ELEVATION: 12,560+

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5"): Mount Hilgard - On the HST Map

ROUTE DESCRIPTION:
From Bearpaw Lake on the west, head due east as if you are going over Feather Pass.
At 11,700 and before arriving at a small lakelet, head straight for the obvious pass. Ascend over easy slabs and sand. For the last 200 feet, the sand becomes quite steep and tedious but the climb is not otherwise difficult.
P1010153.jpg
The view from the top to west of Seven Gables is excellent. At the same time, it is the same view you get from
multiple other locations, just a little higher.
P1010155.jpg
On the east side, the primary difficulty is rounding the uppermost Royce Lake. I rounded it on the east side both times I have done the pass and there is moderate talus. Upon inspection, the west side may be easier depending on snow conditions, but I have not tried. After rounding the lake, head over easy slabs until you get to steep sand for the final 200 feet. This is similar to the west side. The view of Royce Lakes from the pass however is unique and I consider it one of the truly fine Sierra views.
P1010158.jpg
I have done this pass two times over the years, the most recent in 2012. It was a little more difficult as a 56 year old than as a 24 year old, but still relatively easy. I have never seen the pass written up, but both times I have seen footprints. Both times I used the pass just trying to manage the number of days I had with seeing Royce and Vee Lakes. I have looked up at the talus on Granite Bear Pass and decided not to attempt it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ERIC on Sun May 17, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed title text to bold lettering
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: BeaRoyce Pass (unofficial)

Post by Harlen »

Hello DFred and Wife, welcome to HST. I did the BeaRoyce Pass recently with my dog. We liked the route very much, and had no trouble at all. I wouldn't call it exposed in the sense of any real danger, but it is steepish. As mentioned by Robert above, the hardest part may be navigating around the upper Royce Lake, and down the slope back to Granite Park. It's only about 500 feet, and the views are so grand that I'm sure you and your wife will figure any talus walking well worth it. Best of luck, Ian and Bear.

p.s. What route will you guys take to reach Bear Lake?

gemini trip 142.jpg
Bearzy near the top of BeaRoyce Pass (east side).

gemini trip 143.jpg
View from BeaRoyce to the south-east. As you can see, the route is pretty dead easy all the way to the east side of the upper Royce Lake, and across that soft saddle.

gemini trip 153.jpg
Here Bear and I are in the middle of that 400' talus field, with the the big round lake above Granite Park marking the end of the difficulties. Even here in the talus slope you can see stable sandy-grassy bits. Slow and steady gets you there, and it's beautiful on the way
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.