Bear Pass (Unofficial)

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Bear Pass (Unofficial)

Post by RoguePhotonic »

When it comes to giving a name to a pass in order to make it easier to identify I have always felt that giving it a name of obvious reference to it's location is the most proper way to do it. I have only made an exception for this rule (so far) with Wanderer and Adventurer Passes. This is the third exception. I call this Bear Pass now due to the complete lack of any named feature in the area including the creeks. This whole area has an extremely healthy bear population and there was a set of bear tracks going over this pass so it feels like an appropriate name

GENERAL OVERVIEW: This pass leads between the lower portion of the Dumbbell Lakes Basin and the basin West of Observation Peak containing Lake 10,565.

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2 with a single boulder field on the Southern side that if not navigated properly will lead to some class 3 boulders.

ELEVATION: 11,420

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): North Palisade

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: North to South: Although the unnamed lake below the pass can be navigated by either shore difficulties are encountered on either side. I took the West shore and there was one difficult section of class 3 rock that wasn't easy to get around with a full pack on.

From here it's a straight forward medium to small talus hop to the top.

The South side largely is easy class 1 terrain other than a single boulder field lower down that can turn into class 3. The final drop to the creek coming out of the Dumbbell Lakes Basin is a mix of terrain from small trees, tarns and rocks that require plenty of zig zagging along the terrain but should pose no significant burden.