Hutton Pass | High Sierra Topix  

Hutton Pass

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!

Hutton Pass

Postby RoguePhotonic » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:16 pm

TITLE: Hutton Pass

GENERAL OVERVIEW: This Pass leads between Bench Valley / Fall Creek and the upper reaches of Fleming Creek near Hell For Sure Lake

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2 - Steep sand with some steep rock srambling

LOCATION: On the East ridge of Mt. Hutton. John Muir Wilderness / Sierra National Forest | Locate on the HST Map

ELEVATION: 11,460

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Mt. Henry / Blackcap Mountain

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: From North to South go around the East shore of Arctic Lake and begin up the pass by hugging the wall to your left in an obvious cut coming down. This allows you to avoid allot of loose small rock. When your 3/4 of the way up you will have to tackle some steep loose sand that is annoying. Just before the top you will find yourself blocked from above by huge rocks. Hook hard to the right and wind around some rocks until you find a way up. This can involve some easy class 3 scrambling.

The Southern side is pretty much a class 1-2 walk down solid granite slabs and grass ramps however I believe when the primary drainage chute starts down your better off getting onto the left side of it and go straight down from here. I followed the drainage down which got more difficult so I climbed along the granite to it's right. This left me hiking along some small cliffs looking for a way down until I found a sketchy class 3 route.

RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hutton Pass

Postby tomba » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:37 pm

This should be merged with viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8873.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
tomba
Topix Regular

Re: Hutton Pass

Postby RoguePhotonic » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:05 am

I guess I missed that one looking through what had been posted! :confused:
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Return to Cross Country Passes