Beck Lakes Pass

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
Stanley Otter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Beck Lakes Pass

Post by Stanley Otter » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:49 pm

GENERAL OVERVIEW: Leads between Beck Lakes and upper Iron Creek drainage
CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2
LOCATION: Sierra & Inyo National Forests/Ansel Adams Wilderness HST Map
ELEVATION: 10800 feet
USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Mt Ritter, CA
ROUTE DESCRIPTION: I crossed from north to south in mid-July 2018 -- winter 2017-18 had below average snowfall. From the large meadow below the pass on the north side, ascend ramps and climb up short ledges. There are many possible routes. I made use of a snowfield near the top rather than climbing a steeper rock slope. Straightforward Class 2 hiking all the way up with nice grassy spots along the way. The south side is steep with some loose talus and gravel near the top. I kept near the wall of the chute on the left/east for the upper portion. There is a reasonably large, flat, grassy area that overlooks the upper Beck Lake that I did some Class 2 scrambling to access on the way down. From there I descended steep grassy slopes, eventually making my way to the north shore of the lake. Hope this helps.
Dennis
Beck Lakes Pass A.jpg
Beck Lakes Pass B.jpg
Beck Lakes Pass C.jpg
Beck Lakes Pass D.jpg
Beck Lakes Pass E.jpg
Beck Lakes Pass F.jpg
Minarets.jpg
Ritter Range.jpg
Upper Beck Lake.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Roaring in my ears,
the mountain temple's silence.
Nobody else here!
-- Edith Schiffert