HST Community      60 Lakes Col

60 Lakes Col | High Sierra Topix  

60 Lakes Col

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!

60 Lakes Col

Postby zacjust32 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:24 pm

TITLE: 60 Lakes Col

GENERAL OVERVIEW: Connects 60 Lakes Basin to Gardiner Basin

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Please include the Yosemite Decimal System rating of the pass, from Class 1 to Class 5. Please note any variations of the system, for instance "Class 2 with a 50 foot class 3 stretch at the top on the east"

ELEVATION: 11,700 ft.

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Mt. Clarence King

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: From 60 Lakes basin start on the west side of lake 3304 and head up the inlet on the EAST side. It may be hard to cross at first but it allows for easier travel further up. Follow the creek up on easy class 2 slabs and ramps until you get to several small tarns below lake 3435. From there talus hop up to the pass; there's no easy shortcuts, all simple looking ways end up cliffed out. Just bite the bullet and climb up. I haven't gone over the West side but it looks like more of the same. There are cairns and ducks on that side that may help, no confirmation on that though.

PHOTOS:

Looking west from the top of the pass.

Looking east you can see the tarn you should aim for before turning west up the pass.

Talus field from the top of the pass heading east.

Headed down to 60 Lakes on the East side of the creek.
Hiker, adventurer, fabricator, tinkerer, theologian, and occasional student. http://www.zacjust.blogspot.com

zacjust32
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 60 Lakes Col

Postby copeg » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:54 pm

Been a while since I went over - didn't take detailed notes nor good photos, and was without a full pack which always makes it easier. Recall the east side being a mix of talus and lots of tedious shelves. West side consisted of large boulders and talus, all relatively stable
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 60 Lakes Col

Postby Silky Smooth » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:57 am

Blackout! and I were there last June, very buggy and we did some really nice cross country from sixty to rejoin the jmt past dollar lake towards like baxter creek, I'll try and dig up some of her photos. Great area, lots to explore, fin dome, cotter and mr. clarence king. Lighting and thunderstorms changed our plans to bag some peaks.
Silky Smooth
Topix Acquainted

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Return to Cross Country Passes