Quentin's lament (mine, too)

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Quentin's lament (mine, too)

Post by cgundersen »

This is a request: any chance of making the procedure for embedding photos any easier? I've struggled with the process and eventually gotten it to work, so if it were more transparent, it would overcome the comment at the end of Quentin's recent thread in the Backpacking forum, and my response to it.
Thanks!
CG
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Quentin's lament (mine, too)

Post by ERIC »

The issue is with Webshots. Please see the response to your comment on that thread. This is correct. Webshots makes it difficult to "hotlink" your photos because when they're embedded on another site, like this one, every time someone views the thread and the photos show up it uses Webshots' bandwidth. This kind of restriction is becoming more and more common with photo album sites. Please read this thread also.

Your other option is to use the Upload Attachment feature which can be found down by the Options tab when you post. Besides that, I'm not really sure of any other realistic options. If you know of a site that has what you're looking for, reply here with a link to that site so I can have a look.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

If you are using Webshots, they provide a nice feature for sharing on forums such as this that I just noticed. While browsing an album, when you click on a picture and are viewing it large, there is a little menu bar on the bottom. If you mouse over there should be tips saying what each of these does, click on the one that says "copy the code to post this photo in a forum". A new page will load, on the top panel you can click the size you wish to post, the page will regenerate. Copy and paste the text in the "post in forum" text box into the forum...this should provide the correct code to post rather than going through the loops trying to hotlink to the photo.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Magic! Greg, thanks so much.

cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Greg,
Sorry to drag this through the infinite mire, but although Quentin obviously followed your lead in a manner that probably worked for 95% of the audience, on my screen, all I get instead of the photos Quentin (ostensibly) embedded is a red X (and although I fiddled with mouse R or L clicks, nothing I did brought up photos). I apologize for being such a lame case, but at least for me the problem persists.
CG
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Sorry for the trouble. Let's see if we can get this worked out... From Greg's suggestion, I played with it a bit and got this to work for me. Please let me know if this is what you've already been trying, and if so, we'll go from there:

Go to your photo on Webshots
Click on "Other Sizes"
Click on the tab "500" (or "600" if you prefer)
Copy what's in the "Post to Forum" field and paste it to the thread you are posting to on HST.

It should end up looking like this:

If you've tried the above, and it didn't work for you, post back here and we'll see if there's more than one way to skin a cat. :p
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Eric,
Ah, the problems I'm experiencing are entirely as a viewer (consumer?). I'm not trying to post from webshots myself. Instead, the problem is that the posting Quentin made (where he followed the instructions Greg gave him) apparently resulted in successful photo embedding. However, for me, all I get in place of the photo is a little box with a red X. If this explanation does not help for trouble shooting, I may try to grab an example of the display I get and enter it here, but I'll wait till you guys give it another crack. Thanks forr all your effort!
CG
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Yes, please post an example here so I can take a look at the source code. Also, please include a link to the page the image originated from.

Cheers,

ERIC
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Eric,
First, here's the link, and then I'll try to post a frame-grab of my display as it comes up on my screen:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3411

ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Ah! I see now... So you're unable to view hotlinked photos on posts that everyone else is successful in viewing. I thought your problem was only with the photos you yourself attempt to post. Am I getting it now? :unibrow:

Next questions:
- What internet browser and browser version are you currently using? You can find out by going to your browsers Help menu and selecting About from the menu.
- What operating system/version are you currently using?
- What Anti virus, Anti-Malware, etc are you currently using?

If you're the only one not seeing the photos, then I'm pretty sure it's a software setting on your computer. Let's see if we can diagnose what's going on.