Sierra antiquities in the backcountry

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Sierra antiquities in the backcountry

Post by robow8 »

Saw this on the Triple Peak Fork Trail in Yosemite
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

robow8

Is the main item rusted metal or ???, are the pointy things screws or nails? they almost look like horseshoe nails.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

oldranger wrote:robow8

Is the main item rusted metal or ???, are the pointy things screws or nails? they almost look like horseshoe nails.

Mike
It's actually an old rubber heel from a shoe. I imagine someone found it and put it up on the rock so others could see.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Ok that makes sense I have come across several heels like that, even almost an entire old boot at a Shorty cabin not visited often.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

Sites in the backcountry cross country are not visited a lot. Therefor I don't believe that almost any are really sensitive, I (OF COURSE) realize some are sensitive (I believe there are VERY few). I believe that this applies to fishing places also. Why would we want to be such INCREDIBLE elitist. When I backpacked I told almost everyone of good places because I was intelligent enough and not an elitist.
Seriously - what are you thinking? And if you believe that I wasn't a SERIOUS backpacker you haven't been reading. I've read here of "men" who won't tell what to them is their opinion of the most beautiful place in the Sierra. Those "men" (I really think they're big children) are not just neurotic, they're just crazy or incredibly narcissistic.