Sierra antiquities in the backcountry

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sierra antiquities in the backcountry

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I have some what of a mixed feeling on arrowheads in the backcountry. Yes sure I understand it's a felony to remove them and the whole idea of leaving them for others to enjoy but in many cases we are not talking about a nice Native American camp with lots to see that people will enjoy. I'm talking about when I am walking randomly cross country in the middle of no where and oh hey here is a random arrow head that missed a deer and got lost. In general it amazes me that it survived more than a hundred years just laying on the ground without being covered but that is just my point. I'd much rather a person take it and give it to a museum or something of that nature where people will be able to enjoy what it is. I think that by leaving it laying randomly on the ground that in itself will mean the destruction of an interesting piece of history.

Just my thoughts.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockchucker »

The problem with museums is they already have too much stuff to even begin to display it. So it ends up in boxes forever forgotten and sometimes even thrown away. It's a tough one but they are better off left or put underneath a rock, then notify the local archeologist with a GPS location.
I'm no suture for my future.
tarbuckle
Topix Acquainted

Post by tarbuckle »

Ore Cart wheels in the Mother lode
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
high_sierra_yj
Topix Novice

Post by high_sierra_yj »

Here are the three mining cabins in Biledo meadow. They were built in the 1890s by a french-canadian. Elevation is around 6,950'
Here is an unkown, to me, mine shaft that was north of my camp off forest road 5S06. Its not Star Mine which I know is on the same area. Me and a friend were just walking through the woods when we came across it. There were tons off rails and old twisted door hinges and a door in front of what looked like a blasted shaft entrance.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

There are days I feel like a backcountry antiquity. :D
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Brenda
Topix Newbie

Post by Brenda »

In reference to Biledo Meadow and the cabins I was thinking that maybe some of the areas you spotted that had some activity (various wood pieces, etc...) may have been where the two cabins moved to Nelder Grove from Biledo Meadow in 1980-1981 may have been. Maybe? Just thought I'd mention the possibility. :)
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Saw this on the Triple Peak Fork Trail in Yosemite
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

robow8

Is the main item rusted metal or ???, are the pointy things screws or nails? they almost look like horseshoe nails.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

oldranger wrote:robow8

Is the main item rusted metal or ???, are the pointy things screws or nails? they almost look like horseshoe nails.

Mike
It's actually an old rubber heel from a shoe. I imagine someone found it and put it up on the rock so others could see.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Ok that makes sense I have come across several heels like that, even almost an entire old boot at a Shorty cabin not visited often.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!